We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hastings-on-Hudson...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

I am taking my wife to Montreal at the end of July for her birthday. We are staying at the Place Des Arms and I am looking for a restaurant that we can sit at the bar and have dinner. Something upscale with a lively atmosphere and good food would be great. Any suggestions?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,226 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

It's her birthday. Why do you want to sit at the bar to have dinner?

Hastings-on-Hudson...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

Because that's what we enjoy doing. Also I want to have a flexible time frame, usually you don't need a reservation to sit at the bar even in a very popular restaurant.

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

If staying at Place-d'Armes hotel, their bar (Suite 701) does serve quite good food.

Otherwise you may enjoy Vallier, Holder or Bar & Boeuf - all on McGill street, just a few blocks away from your hotel.

Hastings-on-Hudson...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out. I think we will have a drink in the hotel, but I want to go out for dinner. I read the review for Le Bremner, that looks like another possibility. Be well.

Hastings-on-Hudson...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

I just wanted to respond in a little more detail to LSCats' question. There are a number of reason why we like eating at the bar besides not needing a reservation.

You don't necessarily have to have a full meal, you can share 2-3 appetizers or split an entrée, which restaurants don't like when you are sitting at a table.

The opportunity to converse with the bartender, other patrons, the owner

is something we enjoy, especially when we are traveling.

And of course, you never have to wait for a drink.

Some of the best meals we have ever had have been when we were sitting at the bar; Gramercy Tavern in NYC, Fore Street in Portland, Maine,

The Walrus and the Carpenter in Seattle, Washington.

Some restaurants are more conducive to having diners at the bar than others, that's why I asked my question. I know there are a number of very knowledgable people on this forum, and I hoped they could help me find that type of place. I hope that answers your question.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

FYI Barce, you chose wisely as Le Bremner is a great resto to sit at the bar, I've sat at the bar there and not only is the bartender one of the most talented I've seen, but the atmosphere there is amazing, very casual and fun. If you don't know, it's owned by Chuck Hughes, a local celebrity chef. It's his second resto, after Garde Manger which is only a few blocks away. I've also sat at the bar at the latter...both have similar vibes though Garde manger gets louder and more clubby later on while Bremner stays quieter. Hughes is known for his seafood so make sure you get some crab and oysters! And if you're wondering, I prefer the food at Garde but both are great! Garder Manger - the jerk crab is ridiculous, spicy as hell but ridiculously good. The Scallops with carrot butter are also amazing. At Bremner, get the pancakes for dessert if they have them.. I know it sounds weird but i've never had a better, fluffier, dessert in my life. And they sometimes have an off-menu crab pie...sounds weird I know but give it a try

Oh and both are very popular so reserve early. Garde takes reservations up to a month in advance and for a saturday, i'd highly suggest you reserve as soon as allowed as they fill up very quickly believe me.

Happy to give more food advice if you need it!

Edited: 21 June 2012, 22:26
Hastings-on-Hudson...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

Thanks DB, your review is much appreciated. It sounds like we would enjoy either place if we can get in. I will give them a call this evening.

A la votre!

Montreal
Level Contributor
829 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

Le Locale has a bar and it is a very happening restaurant. I have never eaten at the bar, but I imagine you can do so.

9. Re: Restaurant Suggestions for Notre Dame Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 20:17