We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Montreal

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
One week in Montreal

I am going to montreal for a week in July and what are the best sights activities and restaurants. Also is there anything to do outside of the city.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week in Montreal

Did you look at tripadvisor.com/Travel_Guide-g155032-Montrea… ?

Montreal
Level Contributor
835 posts
480 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week in Montreal

My suggestion would be to check out the 'Things to Do' section of Montreal first, because there is a lot to do in the city, it really depends on your interests. Are you a shopper, sporty, looking for culture, history, etc.?

I like Old Montreal which includes Notre Dame Basilica - cobblestones, old world charm, boutiques, great restaurants, the Old Port. Drive up Mont-Royal for the city views and great photo opportunities, and then on to St. Joseph's Oratory. Visit stores like Ogilivy and Simons, dine on a terrace on Crescent street, and visit the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (actually, they have a decent restaurant there too). I am an avid cyclist and this is one of the world's great cities for dedicated bike paths so renting a bike is an option (if you do that, I have further recommendations for restaurants and things to see). The St. Denis and St. Laurent area is very cool with lots of interesting boutiques and restaurants. There is the Biodome; the Olympic stadium is right next to it; and the Botanical gardens are in the neighbourhood as well.

Restaurants: there are SO many to choose from, here are some of my favs: Le Local in Old Montreal and Le Hangar in Griffintown owned by local celeb chef Louis-Francois Marcotte - friendly guy, he has some nice cookbooks for sale on site, sometimes he is there to sign them); Chasse et Peche (pricey but good, Old Montreal); Stash (Polish crowd pleaser with warm atmosphere, not pricey, Old Montreal; Olive and Gourmando (cool café, amazing pastries and lunch, Old Montreal); Au Pied du Cochon (Anthony Bourdain helped broaden its recognition worldwide on his tv show; heart stopping foie gras dishes); Garde Manger and Bremner (Old Montreal, run by tv chef Chuck Hughes); rooftop terrace of Hotel Nelligan (Old Montreal, wonderful martinis and amazing Old Port view). I am leaving out so many, but I have to stop somewhere.

A few things are happening while you would be visiting: there is the Just for Laughs festival www.hahaha.com/en/montreal/performances/all, and the International Fireworks Competition internationaldesfeuxloto-quebec.com/en/progr… The fireworks happen Wednesday and Saturday nights in July, but check the schedule.

For outside the city, how far a drive where you thinking and type of activity were you looking for?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,011 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week in Montreal

Depending on which week you are coming you might get some of the Circus Festival, many shows until the 15 th.

And indeed check the Things to Do section and then come back to help you narrow it down according to your tastes and... Budget! You have to tell us about that too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week in Montreal

I loved the Biodome.....always check out old Montreal.....

I would check out Schwartz's deli for an awesome Montreal smoked meat...

5. Re: One week in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 05:17