We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal in September 2012

Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Montreal in September 2012

We're staying in Stowe, Vt in September for a week and was hoping someone could tell me the best day to travel to Montreal for the day? Suggestions on things to do? Places to eat? Is getting around fairly easy or should we use public transportation when we get there? Is it feasible that once we get into Montreal that we could just park our car and walk around so we wouldn't have to drive from place to place?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. We've never been to Canada and thought this would be the perfect opportunity.

Mentioned in this post
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal in September 2012

The best day would be a warm sunny day. Yes it is possible to park a car and walk, like just about any city. In terms of restaurants, what do you like and how much $ do u want to spend?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal in September 2012

Yes Montréal is very walkable and the transit system is good enough to make a car useless even when you want to go to attractions that are a bit far from the downtown core.

But for the rest we really need some more informations about your tastes and budget. Walking around on a warm and sunny day is fine but what else?

For example the Montreal Symphony Orchestra is one of the best in the world and it's new concert hall is not only looking beautiful but sounding beautifully too. So if that might interest you there are concerts even on some mornings or afternoons. But if classical music is not really your cup of tea then all the above information is irrelevant to you, so... We need more input and, that is probably the reason why you didn't really get replies very fast to your query.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal in September 2012

Thanks for the info about the orchestra...not really what we're looking for. What about museums and shopping? Any unique restaurants that are specific to Montreal? What about historical tours or buildings? Is there an "underground" Montreal, something the locals are familiar with but not "touristy"?

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal in September 2012

Are there any good pastry shops? We love Italian. Greek, Oriental, Mexican, French...just about anything we're willing to try. My number rule is that whenever we travel we do NOT eat at a chain restaurant (at least not one that we have in Memphis).

We really enjoy trying new things. Any suggestions on food and fun would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
46 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal in September 2012

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed Le Grain De Sel restaurant, which is French cuisine. I would personally recommend the fine arts museum or the museum of contemporary art, both of which are fantastic. Also, definitely try the poutine while you are there. It's a Montreal specialty.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal in September 2012

Some people may find the term oriental derogatory. I woul avoid it.

Try lacroissanteriefigaro.com/welcome.html

Others include la croissanterie, de Gascogne, google them. This list almost is endless. Near st Laurent blvd and prince Arthur , you will fun several Portuguese bakery shops. You will find Chinese ones in Chinatown. Italian ones in little Italy, etc.

Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal in September 2012

Thanks...I'm looking forward to all the French food...that me be ALL I eat that week. I'll check these out and if there are any other suggestions please send them my way.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montreal in September 2012

Don't forget that you'll need passports.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Montreal in September 2012

You will find relatively little "French" food here. Would you go to Boston to experience British cuisine? We discussed this extensively in many threads, just search the forum.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
10. Re: Montreal in September 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2013, 10:17