We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec or Montreal?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec or Montreal?

We would like to visit either Quebec or Montreal for our anniversary this July. We have been to neither and both seem so wonderful, I don't know which to choose. I know the Summer Festival is happening in July, so I am leaning that way, but after reading the Gourmet edition on Montreal cover to cover, I am torn! Any insight apprecitated regarding differences/ plusses and minuses for either.

Thank you!

Q

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec or Montreal?

It really depends on what you're looking for and what are your areas of interest. Of course, Quebec City is a major historic city and it is beautiful as well. In addition, there are a number of natural attractions (i.e. national parks, etc.) in the city's environs. Montreal is much more cosmopolitan than Quebec City and offers a wide variety of things to see and do. Ideally, you would have a chance to go to both Quebec City and Montreal. If I had to choose only one though, I would choose to go to Montreal first.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec or Montreal?

Well, Québec is absolutely beautiful, and in prettier surroundings than Montreal. And it's older and looks much more like a French village than Montreal does, so it wins on the oh-my-god-how-romantic front. But only slightly -- Old Montreal, too, is beautiful.

Quebec is smaller, cleaner, and more tarted up -- it's a government town and it shows, with money poured into parks and monuments and a couple of museums. Nice, but disneyland-ish at times. And forget food -- although there are some good restaurants of course, it's nothing like Montreal.

Montreal is the cultural and economic capital of the province, so there's much more to see and do. It's also less conservative and more multicultural than Québec city. It's a city, but on a very human scale, so you never feel too overwhelmed, and there's something in the air aside from pollution that makes you relax and enjoy yourself. It's very easy going, aside from the drivers, and although it's very stylish, Montrealers don't do flash very well -- there has to be some substance for something to work here. Hence the wonderful restaurants, I suppose.

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
11,158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec or Montreal?

Well well, tough choice, but Montreal in July!!!!!!!! If you're there on the weekend you can find a nice place to watch the fireworks, and have dinner, get a horse drawn carriage thru the old port...the possibilities are endless. I'm sure our Montreal people can clue you in on where to get a good view and enjoy the fireworks. come on Jak, Montrealboy and the rest of the the gang...can u help these people out with some super duper places with a view?..At any rate, have a great time!!!Oh my goodness, I almost forgot to mention the Botanical garden with it's "not to be believed" rose gardens. If they are still in good shape that month, it's breathtaking. See the website for the gardens. It's an entire day trip. Absolutely the most beautiful place you can imagine..Ok I'm getting obnoxious,but if I'm lyin, I'm dyin!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec or Montreal?

Quebec City is beautiful, picturesque, scenic, serene and a peaceful place, a lot of senior citizens love to go there.

Montreal is lively, vibrant, warm, very friendly and a very attractive city and young people love it. The downtown area and Old Montreal, which is within walking distance from downtown is very unique. Not many big cities in the world have this kind of character which Montreal provides i.e., a combination of old and new architecture, a touch of European city in North America and everything within walking distance one enjoys it thoroughly, especially during summer time.

Considering what quimbydog is looking for I have a suggestion: You guys can stay at Hotel Sandman in Longueuil. It would be an ideal place for you. It has a beautiful view of the river St. Lawerence and you can watch the fireworks from your room. It has a great indoor pool and a gym and the rooms are good, if I am not mistaken it is a 4 star hotel. Right below you have the Longueuil Metro station and within 5 minutes you are in downtown or Old Montreal.

This way you don't have to be in the hustle and bustle of downtown and still be able to go there in no time. Metro service is available from 6:00 a.m. till mid night and if you stay for more than 3 days, take the tourist pass.

Another advantage would be to access rue St. Charles in Longueuil (10 minutes walk) which has a lot of restaurants that serve authentic quebecoise cuisine.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec or Montreal?

My vote is in for Montreal. Quebec is great to look at, but very touristy. Expect expensive meals with poor service. Great for a day or two, but no more.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec or Montreal?

Depends on how long you are planning to spend with us.

My advice go to both if you are spending more than three days with us. Quebec can be done on a day trip by bus but will be less tiring if you take two days /one night to get there.

Suggestion for the Hotel in Longueuil (if you can afford it) is just great but make sure that you will be in Montreal on the day of at least one firework (see list below) and that your room has a view. Also other plus with this hotel is that you have a bus stop for Quebec city very nearby the metro station. You just save 15 minutes from downtown but if you do a day trip those 15 minutes + the fact that you can walk in minutes to your hotel will be a big plus.

Montreal International Firework competition schedule:

Switzerland

Saturday 17 June 2006

Italy

Sunday 25 June 2006

Argentina

Sunday 2 July 2006

South Africa

Saturday 8 July 2006

Portugal

Wednesday 12 July 2006

Canada