We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

Hi Everyone-

We're VERY excited about our upcoming trip and wanted some insight into dinner options. We like casually elegant, not too formal interesting options with solid wine lists and not a ton of people taking photos of their food (if you know what I mean...). Our hotel, which we picked through Trip Advisor (of course) recommended the following:

Barroco

Helena

Auberge Saint-Gabriel

Accords

Club Chasse et Pêche

We like these options based on the reviews - thoughts?

We were also able to get a ressie at the bar at Joe Beef- is this all hype of as good as the review say?

Also, anything in Plateau?

Thanks in advance!

Montreal
Level Contributor
829 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

Love Chasse et Peche - their sommeliers know their stuff. We love how we were treated when we were there - the two males at the table suddenly realized they were missing a football game. One of the owners/managers overheard and they kept updating them on the score! Now that's service.

Le Locale and Le Hangar are pretty cool, and you will be either in or not far from Old Montreal. Also Grange vin+bouffe on McGill in Old Montreal - we had delicious meal here (tapas) but also good just for a quick bite or glass of wine.

Plateau is not my area of expertise, will leave that to those who know more..

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

Nowadays the flavor of the year is for alpha male chefs with tatoo, pot belly and serving not he man food so Club Chasse et Pêche somewhat belongs to that category while Joe Beef can be the epitome of that style. Other very popular contenders in this style could be Garde Manger in Old Montréal and Au Pied de Cochon in the Plateau

Otherwise some intersting suggestions for you would be L'Express which is the closest of a French bistro that you can find on this continent. It is hugely popular with the francophone intelligentsia so advance reservations are necessary.

Just for the sake of it you should have smoked meat at Schwartz. Smoked meat is the Montréal version of Pastrami but quite different and worth a try and this place is the shrine of that protein. In fact an icon meeting another icon as the restaurant was bought by The Celiiiiiine & hubby & sons!

If you really want to splurge and get decadent a dinner at Europea will do the trick while both Toqué and Laurie Raphael do really great business lunch at a fraction of the cost of what they are charging at night.

Another decadent thing to do would be tea at Birks (our Tiffany), on the mezzanine of the main store. The offerings are scrumptuous and enough that if taking tea after 4 p.m. you won't need dinner afterward.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

The only resto I would go to from the initial list is club chasse et peche. In old Montreal try also DNA and Graziella.

Mtl
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

DNA closed 2 month ago...

In old montreal osteria venti is pretty good for rustic italian

New York, NY
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

Thanks everyone! I think we'll try Club Chasse :).

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

I agree with Platipus. DNA is closed, though. I might suggest adding Chez L'Epicier

Garde Manger is excellent, but not for everyone (loud music, hopping environment).

The TripAdvisor list of restaurants isn't a list of restaurants.... it's a list of restaurants for tourists. Many of us on here have seen how people who don't know what they are going into or why write about restaurants. It's how superb restaurants end up down on the list. (Modavie is above Toque, Barroco, Graziella, Holder and Garde Maner.) Every once in a while I look at the reviews of PdC and cringe at the bad reviews.... half the time the bad reviews aren't about the restaurant or the food, they are about the reviewers not knowing what they reserved in the first place. It's an art, finding the restaurants that suit people, rather than simply a list of the best restaurants in town. (Vegetarians telling me they have a reservation at PdC. People wanting Fancy French and booking L'Express, etc.)

New York, NY
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

TravelAdviceCA- This is SUPERB info - will definitely take this info into consideration and look at some of your options...

san diego
Level Contributor
359 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

The restaurant listings for my hometown, San Diego, CA suffer from the same problems. Granted, we are not considered a food destination but I *know* there are better places than the number one currently listed which is a burger joint near Pacific Beach. It often trades off with a hotel coffee shop near our motel strip.

I believe there is a circle effect going on. TA viewers see a place listed here and they think it's some kind of destination restaurant and then they review it until it's Number One and now Everyone has to go when in SD.

Anyway, for this reason I really don't use TA reviews I feel I get much better information on any cities' Forum. (thanks for listening)

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

Wow I ate at DNA late may. Thanks for the info I guess I travel too much and don't know what is going on here. L'Épicier is a great recommendation.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,024 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Lovers Looking for Options

For the Plateau, a few options would be Cocagne, Pintxo, La Colombe, Le Pégase, La Chronique, Leméac.