We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending money help

bishopville...
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
spending money help

Having never travelled to Canada I am unaware of costs there. I am travelling with a school group and will be in Montreal for 2 days. I am wondering how much spending money would be sufficient for snack foods/drinks and souvenirs. Any ideas?

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: spending money help

Food is definitely much cheaper here than in the USA or Europe. Max. 6.00 to 7:00 CAD at the fastfood chains and max. CAD8.00 for a big chinese hot meal with rice, vege. chicken/beef.

For souvenirs don't go to the big shops in Old Montreal, there are many tourists in that area and those souvenir shop owner's always keeps their prices high.

There is a souvenir shop called "Git-Mit" on Ste. Catherine street East, corner of St. Denis their phone number is 514-842 9753 they are also wholesalers in souvenir business and don't care much about their retail profits so they give you the same items at excellent prices. Especially if you go there as a group with school kids and ask for student's discount.

montreal
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: spending money help

Bring more than you think you need. Of course, you can always make withdrawls from Canadian ATM's if you find yourself running short, such is the miracle of international banking.

I think the previous poster is lowballing costs a bit. Sure, if you want a McChicken you can get away with $7.00, but c'mon, live on the edge a bit, and visit one of the many lovely cafe's and spend $12.00 on a decent lunch. Be sure to keep in mind that %15 tax is added to prepared meals and just about all goods. If you are buying alcohol (probably not with a school group, but you never know) it is much more expensive here than in the US. A pint of beer is typicially $5-$7, and a glass of wine starts at $6-$7.

As far as souvenirs go, you are really on your own there. I personally hate those tacky plastic mounties, etc, but hey whatever turns your crank.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: spending money help

Considering the fact the people always are on a tight budget when travelling with a school group I gave the price idea.

Now, ateparker has just posted a very contrasting post here titled Hyatt Regency. I guess thats where he is going to stay with all those kids.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spending money help

Why would anyone go to Montreal and eat McDonald's? I generally go to Chinatown, and find the dim sum and lunch specials to be quite cheap (under 7$). Even the touristy places on Place de Cartier seem to be a good deal, with 3 course lunches under $15-20 (planon staying a while). If you plan on drinking, stop at the duty free at the US border. For a nation of supposed beer fiends, the SAQs (liquor stores) and mini-marts are pretty expensive. Ice cream and other snacks aren't expensive either.

Most of souveniers downtown are crap. Get some postcards and spend your cash on good food.

montreal
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: spending money help

^^

hah! that is really funny....when I went on a school trip to Quebec city, we stayed in the residences of Laval university....I guess either times have changed, or I went to one ghetto public school!

I thus retract my previous budget statement....I instead encourage you to bring as much money as possible to pump into the local economy. I'm sure that compared to bishopville (a nice little town), Montreal will be close to mind blowing, especially for those teenagers with Mommy and Daddy's VISA platnium cards.

Perhaps my response highlights the difficult proposition of interpreting some posts. Please, please try to include as much information as possible to give us posters a chance to help you enjoy your time in montreal!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: spending money help

Ah one more money saving tip:

When you buy doughnuts, (jelly doughnuts at Tim Hortons, Crispy Cream, Dunkin Donuts wherever) for those kids, buy more than 6 (SIX) if you buy less then you pay 15% tax. So, pool in the money first and then pay the bill for ALL. Howz that? :-) LOL

Montreal,Qc
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: spending money help

I recommend

Souvenirs Ephesus

482 Ste Catherine West //near Phillips Square

a few doors down from Burger King

tel 397-0360

web site www.souvenirsephesus.com

a one stop tourist shop//You'll find something for everyone or

even some dollarstores has a few good quality things early in the tourist season

china town..st laurent near viger

I always enjoy Pho bac 97.. good meal served with jasmine tea under 8cad

yes, calculate 7-8 dollars for meals..in many food carts there are daily specails..much better than Macdonald's

Enjoy!