We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Route Tour of Eastern Townships Dunham Area

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,341 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Route Tour of Eastern Townships Dunham Area

On a cloudy warm day, what do you do when you’re returning and visiting the place you had lived most of your life? What’s new? Yes, yes been with family and friends, and a great time but you know, what is it you’ve haven’t done and seen in a while. Oh, they have developed a wine industry in the Townships, so off we go.

Getting out of Montreal through the construction was the first part, if you leave early enough it’s not too much of a problem.

Using the GPS to go where you’ve been before often in itself can be a source of conversation and confusion. The GPS has worked quite well for us most of the places we go but I think it might have lost something in the translation. Our way of getting there was a very roundabout way, as in very and we saw many new corn fields we hadn’t seen before, but finally we got to where we wanted to go…..Dunham. You’ll find it on the map not far the US border to Vermont, quaint and quite a few vineyards in the area.

Our first stop was the winery at Restaurant le Tire-Bouchon de l’Opailleur, the winery was L’Opailleur. It’s beautifully set up, the old farm house type buildings with restaurants, small shops and goodies are well decorated and easy to get around. There’s not hard sell of anything and Eastern Township easy going and everyone was fluently bilingual. (shh..am I allowed to say that?) There were some fruit and vegetable stalls, confectionary items, honey and cheeses, all local and all of a high quality. We did get some hot pepper jelly and caramelized onion type chutney.

The wine, for $6 you got to try 6 of their wines from white, rosé, red, to a dessert wine somewhat like a sweet Vidal but not quite. Unfortunately the wine was not to our liking as a group.

We did get a reference to a very good restaurant in Frelighsburg called Lyvano, it’s on the stream just on your right as you enter the village, the big blue building. We were also told that the local grocer “Tradition” the only one in town makes their own smoked salmon and we did go and try it and we got a nice piece for a snack later in the afternoon, and oh so good.

Lyvano is in a great location, decorated to suit the area, plus there’s a patio/deck where you’re sitting above the stream with the water running over the rocks all surrounded by some big trees that give you great shade. The food, one rabbit salad, one smoked salmon plate and two fish and chips later plus some home-made key lime pie locally made. Oh yes tried the St.Ambroise “apricot beer” really suited the rabbit salad. All in all quite good, the service was quick, friendly and informative. There are two other restaurants close by and they were also quite busy so if you get a chance go and enjoy.

We then went back up to Dunham and tried the following wineries Les Trois Clochers, Clos St.Croix, Domaine des Côte d’Ardoise, Gagliano and once again there was not a wine we found that we liked.

Then we returned to Montreal through the traffic and eventually the skies opened a fitting end to a great day. Had to snack on the smoked salmon and enjoy a glass or two of wine.

For those worried about language, don’t worry about it. As I said everyone we met in the townships spoke English or was able to understand and answer any questions easily.

This type of day or visit for a couple of days is great, easy driving and friendly people,

Here are some websites that might be helpful:

www.economusees.com

www.easterntownships.org

www.tourismebrome-mississquoi.ca

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Route Tour of Eastern Townships Dunham Area

Great report Canby! I love the wine route myself. To your list of website i'll add the wine route site, which has a proposed itinerary and information about bike trails:

http://www.laroutedesvins.ca/en/

We don't get too much reports, especially for day trips out of the city. If you don't mind, ill add it to the trip reports in the top questions :)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,341 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Route Tour of Eastern Townships Dunham Area

Thanks and not a problem about posting it elsewhere.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Route Tour of Eastern Townships Dunham Area

Great report. I love the wine route also, but too bad you didn't like any wine. The area is probably best known for it's ice wine, but with the short growing season getting a great red an be tough. The grapes are predominately hybrids that can withstand the cold winters. But if you don't view this as a serious wine conniseur but rather the enjoyment of the day and new places to visit, then it is quite fun.

JDP

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,341 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Route Tour of Eastern Townships Dunham Area

Thanks but don't worry about the wine tasting. We enjoyed the day and it has happened during our travels that we/I or friends didn't like something but everything else was fine. We've always enjoyed the Townships and it was a good day out.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,697 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Route Tour of Eastern Townships Dunham Area

Sounds like fun. I have to agree about the wine though!

6. Re: Wine Route Tour of Eastern Townships Dunham Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 10:16