We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi fare and currency

California
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi fare and currency

Will taxi drivers take American currency? Arriving late in Montreal, and I'm not sure whether I'll be able to get cash out at the airport (from an ATM). Will taxi drivers accept credit cards?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi fare and currency

Yes they accept credit cards. Having said that, after many years of travel, only one taxi driver in one city ripped me off via a credit card transaction. You guessed it--Montreal. I was double billed by the taxi I took, and I presume he gave my credit card to a buddy at another taxi company who billed me a 2nd time.

I would try and bring a few Canadian dollars even if you have to use one of the pricey airport currency exchange places.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi fare and currency

Finding a functioning ATM at the airport is a no-brainer...Canada is no different from the US in this regard. If you have to pay cash, simply tell the cabbie and agree on the price BEFORE the trip. If he won't go for it, you should have plenty of other drivers on hand.

Just like any north American city, some cabs will also take credit cards...

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,348 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi fare and currency

Not all taxi's (few) take credit cards.

Limousines take credit cards though.

Go to this link for airport taxi fares.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/montreal/Montreal,+Trudeau+airport/Downtown+montreal

If the link doesn't click on just cut and paste.

To-day the US dollar is less than a Canadian dollar and it does fluctuate, so use the ATM at the airport or pick up Canadian funds before leaving on your trip.

Edited: 15 September 2012, 01:27
California
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi fare and currency

Thanks, guys. Good news that ATM machines are not hard to find at the airport.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,711 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi fare and currency

You may have to go up one floor to find ATMs if you do not see any at the arrivals area.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi fare and currency

Yes, get Canadian currency at an ATM. It is respectful of the culture and the polite thing to do.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi fare and currency

Pretty much every taxi takes Credit Card. I have to take a cab pretty much every day to get back home and I don't remember the last taxi I met who did not accept credit cards. They do appreciate when you pay cash though as they save on the transaction costs.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi fare and currency

There is at least one ATM on the arrivals level. One down by TIm Hortons in domestic arrivals for sure, used it last week.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi fare and currency

Like 514Tom said, nowadays pretty much every taxi takes credit card, particularly at the airport. If you are worried let the taxi driver know that you will be paying by CC before you get in.

10. Re: Taxi fare and currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2013, 10:16