We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

So yeah, that's about all I know so far.

I want to come up to Montreal to eat some poutine and ... ?

We want to come up in November, the plan is to skip out on American Thanksgiving and spend it up there instead. A 5 night trip, come up on a Wednesday, leave on a Sunday.

So how do I even start planning this?

The wife wants a hotel with an indoor pool so she can relax a little bit. I am not so sure what a young child can do so I am hoping for suggestions.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

The Biodome would be a great place for a youngster.....

NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Looks like a really need indoor animal/jungle/plant/fun thing. That one will be on the must see list. Thanks.

What areas of town should I be looking for a place to stay?

What other enjoyable things can be done in November with a family?

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Definitely the Biodome.

I would consider the Hilton Bonaventure. Great rooftop pool and good location.

My toddler (who is now almost 4) really enjoyed riding the subway because its such a novelty to us (no subways in Vermont!). Not sure if your 1.5 yo would be old enough to really enjoy. The Science Museum is really fun but may be a little to old for a 1.5 year old.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,848 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

THe bonaventure pool is not good for little ones. You have to swim through a tunnel with them in your arms as the pool is too deep to stand at that point. There is also a great uncluded breakfast, if you take the tray from the kitchen in your room you can load it up and enjoy breakfast in your own suite. Rooms ar eclean and spacious for a family.

Best family pool, and hotel, is Le Square Philips. A suite hotel with included breakfast. Pool is on the roof level, glassed in with a great view of the city.

GO to the Jean Talon market and Mont Royal park, some nice play areas and walks to enjoy. The market is full of great sounds, colours and smells. A sensory joy for you all.

Walk down to the old port, enjoy the water front and run about in the grass at the Bonsecours basin. A couple of nice play areas along the way as well.

You might enjoy the botanical gardens, near the BIodome, lots of bright flowers and wonderful smells. Well laid out for strollers.

NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Great ideas, thanks!

Are these things, besides the Biodome, open in the middle of November or are a lot of these suggestions warm weather things? I know there wont be flowers at an outside garden but will there still be people out and about in the parks and stuff?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,848 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Yes, Montreal is a year round city, all the actitivites are open year around. In November you might see snow, but it won't last.

Lots of parents and kids like to get out and about. Do Make sure the little one has lots of layers to take off and put on, things can cool down and warm up fast.

There is a really great book called the Lobster guide to Montreal. Written by a family with kids. Full of great activites. I am not sure if it is still in print, but it is worth looking at. I bought a copy when my kids were tiny and we used it for years. Full of some off the wall,a nd main stream, ideas for families., I gave my copy away a year or so back as my kids are older.

BY the way in my first post, the info about the breakfast and suites goes with the Square Philips hotel. I was editing and messed it up. The Bonaventure is not suites and it does not have breakfast. The Square Philips does.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

I agree with the Metro comment, youngsters love the subway!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Good point about the Bonaventure pool. I'm thinking we'll have to try Square Philips next time we come up!

NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Ooo.. Didn't think of the subway as something he'd be fascinated by, but yes, taking a toddler on the underground choo choo would be big and fun for him

:)

How does the subway in Montreal work? Do I need to buy a pass per ticket or can I load up a card and just beep it on the turnstiles for the few days we will be there?

Running around in the park he'll love. At home I just stand him in the grass and the simple act of walking around keeps him occupied.

I found a used copy of the Lobster guide on Amazon for 5 bucks, bought it right away!

Okay, and honest question. I mentioned to some folks around here that I am going to Montreal. OH NO THEY WILL HATE YOU THEY HATE ENGLISH ITS WORSE THAN PARIS THEY WILL SPIT ON YOU.

Man what?

First off, I am not going to be stomping around like a jerk American, my wife can usually figure out languages and learn enough to get the basics in a short few weeks, I'll usually just stay quiet and let her do the talking. If we put in a good effort and least attempt to speak French, even if it's with a phrase book, will we be scorned?

The area with the Square Philips, everything I am looking at all seems to be close by there. I am going to guess that it's a nice area to walk around and hang out in?

I have about a month and a half to plan this all out, looking forward to coming.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 18:53
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,229 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Under Top Questions about Montreal (upper right of this page) you will see info about speaking french and engish in Quebec.

No one will spit on you, and no one will hate you because you are an American. And more than likely everyone will be charmed by your child.

A few words in French is always appreciated, but most people you come into contact with in Montreal will likely be bilingual, and will switch to English automatically when you speak.

Edited: 09 October 2012, 19:01