We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europea

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Europea

I will be in montreal this coming weekend and have a table reserved at Europea on the 27th. Does anyone know how much a couple should expect to spend at this restaurant? I am still a student, but this is a special occasion so I don't mind spending up to $150. However I came across some reviews that said people spent over $200 and some over $400 for just two people.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,838 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europea

http://www.europea.ca/index_en.html

The above link to their website will take you to their menu, where you could do a little calculation to see what you might expect. The mark up on alcohol is what makes things add up, either cocktails, or wine, or after dinner liqueurs. And desserts can often be pricey too. Keep those to a minimum and you will keep expenses on the lower side.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europea

Thanks for your reply! We don't normally order alcohol, but I was a bit confused about the menu posted on their website based on the comments I have been reading. Some people were mentioning a "Table d'Hote" menu, which I believe is another term for a prix fixe menu. However I only see an a la carte menu on their site along with their special tasting menu which is out of my price range.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Europea

Has anyone else been there recently and can comment on their menu? I also noticed that someone on tripadvisor mentioned that there there were more options on the menu than what's listed on the website. It would be great if someone could confirm this. Once again thank you for your comment Mufti.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Europea

I think a table d’hôte under the "Discovery Menu" at $69.50 is the table d’hôte.

Frankly, given that you are going to have to add 30% for taxes and tip I don't see how you can hope to get out of this place within your budget - unless you do the lunch table d’hôte at $49.50.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Europea

Usually a Table d'Hôte is a full 3 course menu with different prices according to the main course you pick and is really what is popular in the Province. A Prix Fixe is 3 or 4 courses all at the same basic prices but with a possibility of many extras for the more expensive items. So, actually, the Discovery Menu is a Prix Fxe, limited in the choice of items for all 3 courses + small cup of lobster bisque to start things but with only one extra (foie gras appetizer).. There is no cheese course as it is usually the case in French Restaurants but you will probably be offered one as an extra.

Beside the regular courses there will be some daily offerings suggested by your waiter and if they charge an extra for them it will be mentionned.. Beside that the restaurant has built it's reputation on the many «surprises» that will come before, in between and after the stated courses. that goes farther than the usual amuse bouche and chocolates that other upscale restaurants offers. So at $69.50 you might end up getting something like 7 or 8 different items to taste.

As Ronw wrote the total of taxes and tips is around 15 % each added to the food and liquor total and, unless you state that you cannot drink alcohol (AAs, etc), you will be expected to have some, at least o glass of bubbly since it will be a celebration. Add a bottle of mineral water and you come somewhat over $ 200 for two and it will get closer to $ 300 easily if you decide on a bit more wine..

If you decide that you want to do it anyways just call in advance to mention that it is for a special occasion and what kind. Chef Ferrer is very generous so you might get some more extras thrown in for good measure. For example I have heard that for women birthdays the ladies recieve a luxurious cookbook authored and dedicated by the chef. And, anyways you will depart with some «madeleines» to have for breakfast the next day.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europea

Thanks for clarifying the menu for me Ronw. Rickb thank you for this detailed response. So I am basically looking at $70 x 2 = $140 + 30% = $182 at minimum if I go with the Table d'Hote. Add on alcoholic beverages and it will end up being over $200. It might be too much sadly. Does anyone have any recommendations for a slightly more affordable (under $150 total) romantic restaurant?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europea

If you like fish and seafood then Andiamo owned by the same people as Europea might be the solution. There is really a table d'hôte but only appetizer and main course, desserts are small verrines at $3 to $4 each. The menu and table d'hôte prices are the same at lunch and dinner since this place makes more of it's business at lunch, the area being a bit deserted at night. So even if it is not super romantic the ambiance will be cool and service, etc. up to Europea standards (but without the amuses-bouches). Also an all you can eat fish and seafood bar at nights (open from Wed to Sat)

Same group, same area, Beaver Hall is a bit more expensive as it seems that the clientele picked up at night. But the decor and atmosphere is that of a Parisian Brasserie, not very intimate.

No 1 in Mtl on TA ranking at the moment is the very simple Bistro Duo-D. No table d'hôte or prix fixe but you can work around to keep things relatively affodable. The limited menu is very good, they do well what they do and don't go in every direction but focus on a few classics instead. The service is excellent and personal as you are not rushed and can enjoy the evening as the restaurant suscribe to this rarer and rarer lost custom of reserving your table for the whole evening as well if you arrive at 6 or at 9. So a limited number of tables, that are not on top of each other as is the case with most bistros so a very muted noise levels and cozy intimacy. .

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Europea

Duo-D and also Nora Gray are very popular in their neighbourhood ..my mum lives between the two and we've been to both. Nora Gray has more of a decor and is pricier, with tasty Italian fare, but the tiny place fills up and can get noisy. Duo-D, if you want classic French in a cosy bistro.

But the $50 lunch at Europea would be within your budget, the resto is right in centre and quite special.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Europea

Rickb thanks for your suggestions. In the meantime I did some more research and came up with a few more possibilities.

1. La porte (very romantic looking, but high priced and I could not find a menu)

2. Gandhi (not as romantic, reasonable price, unsure if the food would be good)

3. Modavie (somewhat romantic, price is reasonable, good variety)

At this point I have a table booked at Modavie. I heard it was a bit touristy, but still in old montreal. The main reason I chose this one is because of the variety of food options they have. They also have live Jazz music which I think would be a new and interesting experience for us.

While both Duo-D and Andiamo look great I feel the menus are too limited.

innaMontreal thanks for your reply as well. At this point I think I am sticking with Modavie. I will try and come back to this forum to post my impressions.

Thanks once again everyone for your help.

Cheers,

Alex

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Europea

LaPorte is definitely romantic. I don't see a menu online, though.

Remember when a restaurant has a tasting menu that they usually require everyone at the table to order it.