We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to walk around?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to walk around?

For the day that I am not running around seeing things what are the best areas if we just want to walk around, eat some random stuff that catches our eye, do some shopping, and have a few local drinks?

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to walk around?

I would suggest to you the Old Montreal area, as it is easily feasible by foot and it is the classic touristic thing to do in Montreal. It might not be the best place to do shopping though because there is mostly art galleries and expensive souvenir shops (selling Inuit art or stuff like that). You could walk to Chinatown from there. For shopping, I usually go downtown but there's a lot of big brand stores (Simons, Forever 21, H&M, Le Château, Apple Store). You could stop at Ogilvy's, which is a mythic store in Montreal, founded in 1866 (http://ogilvycanada.com/en/about/our-history/) (very expensive, filled with Chanel and Dior… but with often really fun shop-windows). The Bay is another classic store here and you can find Canadian goods there (thebay.com/eng/hbccollections-olympiccollect…).

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to walk around?

Take the subway, orange line and get off at Mont-Royal stn. Wander on Mont-Royal St (do NOT miss Kouign Amann, 322 East Mont-Royal, an excellent bakery. Good spot to buy delicious fresh croissants, and specialties from Brittany, like the Kouign Amman tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155032-d11… ) and go down St-Denis street. Gazillion shops of all kinds, cafés and bars.

http://www.rue-st-denis.ca/en/home.aspx

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to walk around?

Oh and for a sight of Mont-Royal Ave, have a look here, on a day where the street was pedestrian only due to a street fair

- Commando Trad's flash mob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni3x-uwAumo

Edited: 13 November 2012, 06:36
NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to walk around?

When folks say "Old Montreal", what does that comprise of?

I will be staying near the Station Berri subway stop, which way do I want to go to there?

Does Chinatown have a main street I would want to start on and then branch off from there?

I have added the Mount Royal stop to my map.

Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to walk around?

For what you describe, i would not go to Old Montreal but i would go to the Plateau Mont Royal area as Eirelover suggested.

Old Montreal is tourist central. It is for seeing sights and architecture, but not true Montreal life. Shopping is mainly consistent of art galleries and souvenir shops. Food is more expensive of course, and sometimes you can get awful food for high prices, so i would look up places before you go. It is a must see though but just not what i think you are describing. However, i would say that it is worth a visit if you've never been to Montreal, but mostly for the sights.

Plateau Mont Royal is where real Montrealers hang out. There are also the neighbouring areas with same atmosphere like Rosemont, Villeray etc... This place is littered with cute cafes and most of the best restaurants are in that area. By best, i don't necessarily mean the most expensive, but certainly the most talked about. The architecture is typical Montrealer. Black lacquered iron staircases, old buildings, some impromptu gardens here and there.

As for shopping: You will find some neat, trendy, mostly non-chain shops. I LOVE shopping there since i can find such unique stuff that nobody else has.

It's a large area, so i would pick some of the funner streets and walk along them. The cool streets to walk on are : Saint-Denis, Saint-Laurent, Rachel, Mont-Royal, Laurier. Bring up a google map and get a feel of the area. The ground is mostly flat so you can walk it quite fast.

Edited: 13 November 2012, 15:37
NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to walk around?

Sylve684, that is just what I am looking for. Would I just take the metro out to that station and start fanning out from there?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to walk around?

I would second Sylve's suggestions - great shopping in those areas and lots to see.

I would bypass Chinatown ... it is very small and not overly interesting.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to walk around?

Hey, I live in old Montreal and I am not a tourist. Yes, some parts are quite touristy but real people live there. There are good restaurants which are not tourist traps and old Montreal is experiencing a renaissance in terms of bars and nightlife. It is a bit like our soho with an old port next to it.

NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to walk around?

So then if I am used to NYC Chinatown (and Flushing) then skip over Montreal Chinatown.

Rodger.

Back to Old Montreal, if we do go where do we go?

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places to walk around?

You go all over.

Yes, skip Chinatown.