We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

we're planning to drive up from new york during the first week of january. we're planning this on a low budget (law students). any recommendations for interesting neighborhoods to walk, eat, and stay in would be welcome. would love to be pointed in the direction of any 'must-see' sights or 'must-do' activities thanks for your help!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

Zach look at the left of the forum, you will see things to do, places to eat etc. the links are full of great suggestion. Once you have worked out some things that you think you would like come back and share. That way we will be able to see what you are into and help with more suggestions.

As for places to stay, anywhere near a metro stop is good. Like NYC the metro is very efficient and safe and you can get around quickly on it. However it is not extensive, so when you look at maps check if there is a stop close by.

Many first time visitors like Old Montreal or Downtown.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

Sorry but Old Montréal is definetely not for travelers with tight budgets. At the western edge of Downtown there are a few places that aren't so bad: Hotel Maritime Plaza, Hotel Espresso (formerly Days Hotel) and the International Hostel which has regular rooms.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

But we don't know what tight budget means to these travellers. NYC rates are sky high, budget hotels there are $200 a night.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

I'd go to Pho bang New York if you like Vietnamese food....also go to Schwartz's deli for an awesome Montreal smoked meat...

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

I can clarify a bit - we're looking to spend around $150 a day on meals, attractions, admissions, etc. (less would be welcome!). Do you think this is feasible? We're not going to be tearing through our budget on alcohol. As for accommodations, we want to avoid any kind of chain and would really love to find a cozy, 'romantic' little bed and breakfast that wouldn't break the bank.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

tdsuperstar - thanks for those recommendations!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

Go to Le Banquise for poutine, it is a Montreal institution. You will be very full for a low price. There are lots of cheap eats in Montreal. Dim Sum in Chinatown is one of our favourites. My NYC friends do find things a bit more expensive here when they visit.

Look in the B&B section of the hotels section and see if anything appeals, there are lots of reviews. It will also increase your daily budget if you get breakfast included. Do check for proximity to the metro.

With a multi day metro pass I am sure you will find things to do in your budget.

Look on booking.com and see if anything appeals as well, come back here to check reviews and ask about location.

I am sure the rest of the gang will have some great budget suggestions.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

Well if you want a B&B with a cosy romantic side in a nice neighbourhood then Gingerbread Manor could be the answer. Of course a great breakfast is included which is important when wanting 3 meals per day on a budget. Also if you are driving to Montréal the owners will be able to point out free parking spots on the street and will also help with the crazy street parking signs.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

thanks so much for that, bogwoppit.

http://alacartebnb.com/index.html seems to be really well-reviewed on this site, and the website itself looks fantastic. it's within our price range, too. all of the comments i've read about it seem to be positive, but if anyone has anything else to add, i'd love to hear.

this is my first time trying out a travel forum, and i just want to say that the past few hours, alone, have been a fantastic experience. i really appreciate all of the feedback i've gotten, already. thanks!

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Young couple panning 4-5 day winter trip to Montreal

if anyone has any feedback on this place jetsetter.com/hotels/… i'd love to hear. thanks!