We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too cold in January?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Too cold in January?

Hello All,

We are flexable and was wondering if we should wait until March/April for our visit. I here it is a beautiful city and can not wait to visit.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Too cold in January?

Too cold is subjective, it really depends on you. It is easily to get historical average temperature for Montreal. Did you do this ?

I would say that April is the worst month to visit. To late to enjoy winter and often to early to enjoy spring. Plus the snow melts late march and early April and you see all the crap that was stuck in the snow for 4 months. Crap actually includes real crap as many dog owners fail to do the poop and scoop mandated by city by laws so the ground in residential neighborhood is littered with it. By late April when there is no chance of snow, the city cleans the street and puts flowers and from may to October is the best time to visit.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too cold in January?

I agree with what my friend Platipus has said.

As for coming in January, one of the beauties of Montreal is that it is easy to get around in the cold months. The Underground City, linking metro stations and malls makes walking a few blocks downtown much easier. Some hotels are connected right to it and you can go shopping without putting on the the winter gear.

Also, hotel prices can be more reasonable.

This doesn't mean you won't go outside. Old Montreal means walking the cobblestone streets. For that, especially if you come from a warm climate, means dressing in layers plus wearing some waterproof boots or shoes.

If you want to see some snow and enjoy the city then come up in January, but I totoally agree that if you decide to wait then visit in May or June.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,009 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too cold in January?

Ditto, come when the real winter is in or in mid-March which is melting times but also sugaring off season.

Dress in layers yes but the waterproof insulated boots are a must as you might find large pools of slimy salty slush at every corner. Our sewers grids freeze so there is no proper drainage almost anywhere.

Personally I would pick February, may be during the Montreal Highlights Festival. This festival is much different from the summer ones, way tamer and involving much more locals than visitors so it doesn't really play a role on the hotel rates.

4. Re: Too cold in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 04:16