We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a great steakhouse....

Bethany, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Looking for a great steakhouse....

My husband and I are looking at staying at The Maritime Plaza Hotel and looking for a great steakhouse to have dinner, could anyone recommend a place to go? Or what do you think of the hotel we are looking at.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a great steakhouse....

Maritime Plaza: good location, building from the 1960's that look well maintained in the lobby area but I cannot vouch for the rooms.

Steak house: Montréal is not blessed with many great steak houses like most US city of its size. The best around and the only one offering dry aged USDA Prime is not far from the Maritime PLaza: La Queue de Cheval. But it is one of the most expensive restaurant in Montréal. Then Mioishe's is a wee bit less expensive and also feature USDA prime nowadays but the meat is ''wet'' aged i.e. vacuum packed. The Keg, Steak House du Vieux Montréal and Gibby's are all located in Old Montréal and are offering vacuum aged Canadian triple A . Finally L'Entrecôte Saint-Jean is a little bit different as it is offering only one cut of beef: strip loin steak; in fact only one menu of strip loin served in the French style, i.e. with French fries,, salad and sauce. The design of the place is also totally French bistro.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,205 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a great steakhouse....

I have stayed at the Maritime Plaza, I won it on Hotwire for peanuts. Their rooms are pretty much a basic three star level, they were clean but nothing fancy at all. The parking garage is not fun to get into and the common areas, whilst clean, are dated. Staff were nice and I do like the location.do read the reviews here.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155032-d183261-…

Not sure how much you paid, but it might be worth looking at 4 star hotels on Hotwire as the Sheraton often comes up. It is a solid 4 star in the same area as the Maritime Plaza, but is newly renovated and has a great pool, bar lounge etc. You can use www.betterbidding.com to help you work out what hotels are available. The 4.5 star is usually the Intercontinental, another one I like for staying in the old port area.

If you could win the Intercontinental on Hotwire it would put you within walking distance to many of the great restos that Rick, our resident foodie and chef, listed above.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a great steakhouse....

what? rick is crazy or he has a better palate than i do. Gibby's is an amazing steak and a classy place, reserve well ahead of time. i love their rib eye, the gibby's cut is even better but it's huge. And Queue de Cheval is amazing as well but definitely more expensive and not in as nice a location as Gibby's. The Keg is bigger and you don't get a steakhouse feel, ie small and great service like you will at Gibby's or QDC.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a great steakhouse....

As I mentioned I am writing from the point of view of US vsitors. Most large American cities wll have some steak houses offering dry aged USDA Prime for which the rules are much more stringent than for our Canadian Triple A.

A lot of people in Montréal have never tasted dry aged USDA Prime and don't seem to see the difference or are so accustomed to vacuum aged that they don't really care for dry aging. Even myself I have to readjust my tastebuds wen I go to a great US steakhouse as the first few bites are a bit too much meaty for my taste. Then, once the brain has readjusted it is just great. So if you are used to Gibby's then you might fnd it great but it might be very good for some of our US visitors but not great.

Note that I have lumped all 3 Old Montréal steakhouses in the same bag / same level as they offer, more or less, the same quality of meat, Note that if we consider those 3 Entrecôpte Saint-Jean will be 1 or even 2 notches below but Moishe' s will be a notch over and La Q two notches.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,441 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a great steakhouse....

The OP, however, is from a small community in Ontario, so may not be familiar with the differences you note Rick. She would certainly be familiar with the Keg.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,205 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a great steakhouse....

I had no idea she was from Ontario. Good piece of useful info right there.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a great steakhouse....

I agree with Rick, it sounds like he knows about steak. I find Gibbys awful. Montreal is not known for its steak compared to other cuisine. Then again, my USA clients love queue de cheval (which has moved by the way).

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a great steakhouse....

La Q has moved! To where?

Not surprising that your clents likes La Q Platipus as it is the only real McCoy around comprable to the top ones in many US cities.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a great steakhouse....

De la montagne street.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for a great steakhouse....

I honestly think you'll get the best bang for your buck and a very fine steak as well at The Keg in Old Montreal.

Edited: 11 December 2012, 04:29