We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

NYC
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

we (my boyfriend and I) are planning a getaway at the end of may (may 25 - may 29) to beautiful montreal, and i need some advice on some things to do and where to stay.

Hotel recommendations? B&B Recommendations? Best Areas to stay?

We were going to drive from NYC but are now considering the train cos we hear parking is a pain.. any thoughts? Will we need to drive when we are there?

Also, i hear there are some nice bike trails around old montreal, any info on where to rent bikes and where to go to do this (something different)..

We are going to try to do the boat ride too if its not too cold.. and also maybe the botanical gardens..

Night life - i hear st denis area is the place to be basically downtown, so im sure we ll figure something out.. i hear 737, tokyo, st sulpice are nice.. any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Any ideas will be appreciated.. it's our first trip away together so we want to make it romantic, fun and a time to remember without breaking the bank:)

THANKS!

NYC
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

we 're mid twenties.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

Dear Eva;

As regards the B&B's the choice is unlimited but it depends on your budget. If you wish to pay less and enjoy in a nice B&B in Old Montreal I would suggest Auberge Les Passants du Sans Soucy on St. Paul Street in Old Montreal. Want to pay a lot in the same area then there is a very expensive B&B called Pierre du Calvet Hotel. If you wish to stay in a small hotel in downtown on Ste. Catherine street west then there is Inn Tourist very close to Cresent street.

As regards parking there is not much of a problem if you know where the covered / secured parking lots are and you park for 4 nights their charges are between 10 to 12 dollars per night. There is a detailed discussion on this subject last month and too many posts here on TA which you can easily track if you search in the April posts under the name of shazqazi you will find it.

Yeah there are plenty of bike trails and Montreallers love biking in summer, you can rent a bike from Old Montreal. Also from the same location you can take the Jet Boating ride which would be a unique experience for you and weather would be fine by then. You would be a couple of weeks early for the Botanical Gardens but you can still go on a sunny day. If you go there around 5:30 p.m. they let you in for free and during the long days you can enjoy 3-4 hours of strolling, otherwise you pay CAD11.00 per person.

St. Denis is a good area (Latin Quarters) but currently the street is dug up for laying swerage pipes and its quiet messy out there. You can go to Crescent street its full of jazzy trendy bars and restaurants. Good luck, but please get a room reserved now b4 it is too late to get one at a decent place at a decent price.

NYC
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

Thank you Jak! that was great. I have a quick question, how far is old montreal from crescent street and from downtown, are all these places not too far from each other? walking or train? From what im reading old montreal is a great place to spend alot of time, is mont royal around there too?? Is the plateau a nice place to stay as well?

Thanks for the B&B recommendation (the less exp one).. it looks great i will try to call and reserve asap.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

Crescent Street/Downtown is very close to Vieux-Montreal. If you plan to walk, you can probably get there in about 20-30 minutes, depending on how fast you walk. By metro, you can literally get there in minutes as there are only a few stations separating the two areas. Getting from downtown to the Plateau is best via metro. Although it is possible to walk there, it can be a lengthly walk. You can walk from Vieux-Montreal to the Plateau, although metro is also available.

To get to Mont Royal, you can actually walk up the from the downtown (i.e. Crescent Street) area. It's not a far walk and the view is spectacular.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

That royally stinks about St. Denis! I'm staying in the Plateau area that weekend too. Is it all the way up from Sherbrooke?

Montreal
Level Contributor
57 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

The construction on St-Denis is below Sherbrooke, so you'll be OK.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

Eva you are welcome to Montreal and you are welcome to ask any question. Most of your recent questions have been answered so I don't need to add anything here, except to hurry you for making the booking as bookings through the internet get filled up very fast.

If you don't get a room in that B&B in Old Montreal, you try at Inn Tourist it is in the heart of the shopping area and very close to Crescent street (2 minutes walk) and Mount Royal is only 20 minutes walk.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

Whew! Awesome news about the construction, thanks! Do any of you know if there is still a Belgian waffle cart at the corner of St. Denis and Mont Royal? I'm craving one something bad.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

I think the cart is still there and NO Bagels :-) you can try bagels at St. Viataur they are very famous. And yeah you have every reason to be happy that you are not in the range of our construction mafia!

NYC
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Montreal - End of May (25 -29)

Hey.. of course auberge sans le soucy is booked and a couple others the guy recommended.. is staying in the latin quarter fine?? is it close to the old city as well? any thoughts?? also inn tourist is that a hostel? i cant seem to find a website for them. any one know about the taj mahal hotel on st catherine?

we would really love to stay as close to the old city as possible if we cant stay in there.. help ppl :) would downtown be the closest place to the old city or the latin quarter?

I appreciate everything guys!!!