We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

Hiya. Help please. My wife & I are flying into & out of Toronto in early June and want to see as much as possible without spending the entire 7 days in a car or train. We have been to Toronto & Niagara before so would miss it out this time. Air tickets are already booked and logistics necessitated it be Toronto entry & exit. We are UK based.

Our initial thoughts cover Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City ??? We've heard Montreal is not "car friendly" so thought Toronto - Montreal by VIA may be best. We like cities and exceptional scenery and have travelled extensively in W. Canada. Any thoughts, suggestions, likes/dislikes would be greatly appreciated. We are relaxed on the cost and budget.

Bill.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,478 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

Hi Bill;

About ½ way to Montreal from Toronto, is the town of Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands". From there you can take a boat tour of the 1000 Islands.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g182143-d1…

www.ganboatline.com/

They offer 1 hr, 2.5 hr, and 5 hour tours. The 5 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which was built in 1900 by the former owner of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs, as the island is in American waters. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g29794-d105…

www.boldtcastle.com/

While in Gananoque, check out;

The Thousand Islands Playhouse for great live theatre.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g182143-c88400/Gananoq…

http://www.1000islandsplayhouse.com/

1000 Islands Skydeck

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g1200493-d1…

http://www.1000islandsskydeck.com/home.php

If you decide to stay in Gananoque overnight, I strongly recommend the Islandview Inn Bed & Breakfast, which is located only 1 block from where the tour boats dock, and the St Lawrence River.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g182143-d619664…

www.islandviewinnbb.com/

The Holiday Inn Express would be my second choice, but is located at the opposite end of town.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g182143-d578912…

For more info on the 1000 Islands;

www.1000islandsgananoque.com

www.visit1000islands.com/

www.1000islandsinfo.com/

Best Regards

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

thanks a lot.............appreciated

Bill

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
606 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

if you don t want to rent a car you could take the train (via rail http://www.viarail.ca/en/low-fares) from Toronto to Montreal. No car needed in Montreal, you walk or take the subway. Lots to see and do in Montreal in early june. Weather usually nice and cafes with ouside seating open. From Montreal take the train again or the bus (lots of departures) and go to Québec city, which is really worth the detour. Picturesque and with a different atmosphere,lots to do and see there too. By train or bus you will arrive in the old town, the lower part, lots of restaurants, hotels nearby in the old town , upper or lower part and the view of the St-Lawrence river is very nice.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,478 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

You're Welcome, Bill !

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

just be careful about june in montreal. the F1 grand prix is june 8-10 this year so hotels start to get very (more like extremely) expensive and are reserves months in advance around that time, but if you're going more towards the first week of june you should be okay but doublecheck just to be sure

but june is montreal is an amazing time, great weather, great people. nothing not to like. and yes don't take a car, the subway and your feet are the best ways to get around. unless you want to leave the island to visit the laurentian mountains (where many montrealers spend their weekends) or Mont Tremblant national park (respectively, an hour and an hour and a half from the city) which are very nice. but you could always rent a car for the day if you wanted to do that

and fyi...quebec city is smaller, more historic and probably more picturesque. a great city for sure but very different in both culture and language (many fewer english speakers but that shouldnt stop you). you could take the train or drive (2.5 hours from montreal)

ottawa is also smaller and houses our national capital, many great museums and parks but again, probably not as fun as far as nightlife goes. about a 2 hour drive from montreal, can easily take a bus there from montreal, they leave several times a day.

have fun!

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

With a limited time and the will to not spend too much time behind a wheel, here are my suggestions:

- Toronto ->Montreal: fly with Porter airline www.flyporter.com , from the downtown airport. Several flights a day, check their website regularily for promotions. You will save precious time and will not be as underwhelmed by the lack of scenery between the 2 cities as if you were spending several hours looking at ... not much, really

- Montreal -> Québec City: comfy intercity buses www.orleansexpress.com leave every hour from downtown Mtl to QCity. You do not need, and will not want a car in either cities.

- Québec City: you might be surprised by its resemblance with Edinburgh! once you have seen enough and feel like escaping a little bit, I suggest you rent a car and drive east towards St-Irénée (or further afield to Tadoussac if you would like to see whales). This will be the most scenic part of your trip; many Scots choosed to live in the area a long time ago for a reason: it reminds of the Scottish Highlands at times, except that the very wide St-Laurent river plays the role of loch. Should you decide to go to Tadoussac, you could stay overnight in Tadoussac itself (it's a village), or in Manoir Richelieu http://www.fairmont.com/richelieu-charlevoix/ at La Malbaie, roughly halfway between Québec City and Tadoussac, or in the quaint little town of Baie-St-Paul (1h15min drive from QCity) where there is an array of B&Bs, inns and hotels. And a surprising amount of art galleries for such a small place.

- Québec City back to Toronto: fly Porter or spend a whole day on the train.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

Some great stuff here guys....................thanks/merci. Bill

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

I would agree with eirelover itenerary. Good route and variety.

Personally, I would skip Ottawa if you only have 7 days.

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

If you're looking forward to saving money, Megabus is offering Toronto - Montreal rides at 10$. Might be less comfortable than trains but way cheaper!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 week itinerary in Ontario & Quebec

Got my head round my itinerary now. A few more detailed questions if I may:-

1. What area should I target to stay in in both Quebec & Montreal??

2. Is the bus from Quebec to Montreal more convenient than the train or is it a hassle queing and you don't get on etc etc. Also there doesn't appear to be any benefit in buying a bus ticket up front. Is there any way you can buy a ticket for a specific bus time??

Thanks/Merci

Bill