We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English-speaking areas of Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sandy Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
English-speaking areas of Montreal

I have a friend and her husband visiting Montreal in January. She asked me what the main English-speaking neighborhoods are in Montreal. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you, David.

upstate NY
Level Contributor
317 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: English-speaking areas of Montreal

We have been to Montreal several times and, while most natives speak French as their first language, we had no problem at all speaking English no matter where in the city we happened to be. From the metro to restaurants to museums and other attractions (including Chinatown), we were easily able to communicate with everyone.

Montreal, Quebec...
Level Contributor
289 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: English-speaking areas of Montreal

Generally speaking, if you take Mount Royal as a reference point, the proportion of English speakers increases gradually as you go west, but decreases as you go north, east and south.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,024 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: English-speaking areas of Montreal

Yeah, I wouldn't bother trying to arrange what you want to see by the majority language of the neighbourhood -- especially since those are mainly the western suburbs, where there ain't much to see, and as mentioned, almost everyone speaks English anyway.

Since you don't know Montréal, you can see a map of % population with English as first language learned at statcan.gc.ca/pub/…map-carte13-eng.htm although don't forget that it means little in daily life, since so many people are bilingual and even trilingual here.

If you particularly want to see a more English side of Montréal, I'd say check out Avenue Greene in Westmount (Atwater métro), Monkland by Villa Maria métro, Queen Mary by Snowdon métro, or Sherbrooke West so around Vendome métro. These are little neighbourhood streets with some shopping and restaurants and are more interesting to wander around than the boring suburban sprawl of the West Island.

Edited: 28 December 2012, 22:27
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,744 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: English-speaking areas of Montreal

At Atwater metro there is an exit through Westmount Square Plaza, to Greene Avenue, then along Sherbrooke Street West until Victoria Avenue ..lots of shops, cafés, some Victorian houses, the Westmount Park -- all very very Anglo, even shopkeepers greet customers in English in that section of central Montreal.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: English-speaking areas of Montreal

I wouldn't concentrate on one area over another. The whole city is great, friendly, and you won't have a problem speaking or getting along.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: English-speaking areas of Montreal

English speaking neighbourhoods...

Look at this map... …wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Montr%C3%A9al_-_Sec…

To be honest, it's about as useful as nipples on a man. You can't plan a trip that way. It's not like there is a dividing line in town and we aren't allowed to cross it. Many English speakers live on the French neighbourhoods and vice versa. (In fact, I'm English speaking and living in a predominantly French neighbourhood.)

Sandy Springs...
Level Contributor
2 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: English-speaking areas of Montreal

Thank you to all the members who gave responses to my question of English-speaking areas of Montreal. I will pass this information to my friend by email, many thanks to you! Happy New Year! David

8. Re: English-speaking areas of Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2014, 10:17