We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really, Really Dumb Questions

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Really, Really Dumb Questions

Bon Jour!

Arriving very late this coming Thursday. Got my translator app set on French and all ready to go, plus a list of museums and restaurants we're planning to hit. Very excited.

Just wondering...

1. How much cash am I going to need if I'm planning to use my debit/credit card for most purchases, and is the airport the best place to exchange? I'm guessing I need cash for metro, bus, cabs.

2. Traveling with gadgets. Am I going to need any plug-in adapters?

I told you these were dumb questions.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really, Really Dumb Questions

See this article on Canadian currency. Bank ATM's are the best place and way to get cash. Airport currency exchanges are usually among the worst as their exchange rates tend to be very high.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-s601/Canada:B…

Canada and the United States use the same type of electrical plugs. No need for an adaptor.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,630 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Really, Really Dumb Questions

Do as much as you can by using your credit card until you get to your hotel. If you have to give a tip to a bellman or a doorman whlping with your luggage, just apologize and give them tips in US. It happens all the time. Flat cab rate is $40 + tip and airport taxis will take credit card. Then get out of your hotel and find a bank ATM. You will get better exchange rates and higher maximum withdrawal then by using commercial ATMs. By the way Desjardins or Caise Populaire Desjardins is also a bank, a co-op one, but non members gets the same service for ATMs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really, Really Dumb Questions

if you have $50 or so on you in cash, you will be more than fine....

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
762 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Really, Really Dumb Questions

if you have $50 or so in cash (smaller bills), you should be more than fine....

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,662 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really, Really Dumb Questions

I would still get some cash at the ATM at the airport. Yes, the porter will accept your US currency, but it is just polite to use Canadain money. You won't need more than $100.00 tops for the small stuff.

As for your translator app, you're going to find you really won't need it. In most of the tourist areas they will speak English. And if someone sees you with the app and is speaking French, don't be surprised if they switch to English. Even when I'm speaking my limited French they still switch to Engliah. You'll get by just fine.

JDP

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Really, Really Dumb Questions

Agree with JDP112456 on the translation thing. Montreal has a large and well-established Anglophone minority, two major English language universities, and (at least formerly) many Canadian corporate headquarters. Because of this, pretty much everyone in the service industry is bilingual, and quick at identifying customers' language of preference (sometimes before you say a word). You'd get better use out of the translation app in most other Quebec cities/towns.

Having said that it is of course polite to make some attempt at French, or at least ask in French if the person speaks English, if you're not in an Anglophone neighbourhood.

7. Re: Really, Really Dumb Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 05:17