We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

Hi,

Me and my partner are planning to travel on the following roadtrip in August. We have 15 nights and have already booked our flights so our start and end destinations are pretty fixed. I just wanted to post our itineraryto see if people who have been to those areas can let me know if they think we are spending too long/too short in some areas or are missing out something en route that is definitely worth seeing. We are in our late 20's and the main activites of our trip will be hiking/cycling, spotting wildlife, looking to do some "at sea" activities i.e.sailing and whale watching, eating! Generally pretty chilled but making the most of each place as much as we can in the timeframe. So the plan at the moment is:

Halifax x 2nights

Prince Edward Island x 2nights

Fundy National Park x 1 night

Bar Harbor x 4 nights

White Mountain National Forest, North Conway x 3 nights

Montreal x 3 nights

Plus if anyone knows how to avoid the "one way fee" on car rental please let me know.

Any advice would be great, thanks

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

My first question would be where are you flying into and out of? It is all doable but it is also a lot of driving so knowing that would help us help you coordinate your trip better. Also where are you getting your rental car from and are you returning it to the same location? Fees can get much greater with a rental car when crossing back and forth between borders so that would be helpful too.

JDP

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

Sure, the itinerary is in the order that we plan to visit those places i.e. our flight gets into Halifax and leaves from Montreal. I have calculated all driving distances so they average between 3-4hrs with longest being from Fundy national park to Bar Harbor so we are ok with those distances. Am trying to sort car rental at the moment but looks like we won't be able to avoid the one way fee unfortunately. Trying to weigh out the cheapest options really. Renting the car in Halifax on the day we leave for PEI and then dropping it off in montreal the day we arrive there will hopefully save us some money too.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

As far as the time goes at all the various places I like it. Bar Harbor is beautiful as is Acadia National Park. You can get in lots of cycling/hiking in and around the entire area and island. The same goes for the White Mountains.

Halifax too doesn't need more than 2 dyas, and 3 in Montreal allows you to cover the basics.

Enjoy your trip!!

JDP

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,441 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

You've now posted this itinerary in 4 different forums, so I expect you will be getting a lot of overlapping information and regional cheerleading. As far as the car, I hope you've taken a look at Canadian Affair to see if an agreeable rate, without drop charges can be arranged.

As far as your plans for Halifax, PEI, and NB (Fundy), I think you'd be hard pressed to do the activities you say you want to do ... given how long it takes to drive from one place to another... I assume you plan to stop to eat, etc. And only going to Halifax, without seeing some of the more interesting areas of Nova Scotia is just plain foolish.

I've driven from Bar Harbor to North Conway - and it's true if you take the multilane interstate you can get there in about 5 hours. However, taking the smaller more scenic highways will give you a much better ride scenery-wise.

I just look at this itinerary and see places sort of stuck in without real thought.

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

I don't really agree with phpr, JDP makes a lot of sense, it's a great itinerary! I'm rather jealous. Really crammed a lot in :) So long as you don't mind a bit of driving and packing a lot into your days you should be able to see a whole lot. Plus the benefit is that if you really like somewhere, you can always go back. Canada and the USA will still be there next year. Another benefit of your holiday is that if you find somewhere sucks, you'll be in and out in no time. I've been to a few of those places and had a great time! Plus mine was on a similar time scale. You sound like me in that you like a lot of variety and trying to pack as much in as possible! You're going to have a fantastic time!

(p.s. we all post our itineraries all over the place, it's the best way to guarentee response :P )

If you would like any detailed information about an area or want any recomendations let me know

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

On the way to Montreal you may want to stop near Burlington, vT and try Ben and Jerry's Vermonster, a challenge indeed!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

Thanks, am really looking forward to the trip :)

Ideally I would have loved to spend more time in certain areas but still waiting on that lottery win!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

Best of luck on that lottery win!!

Wolfville, Canada
Level Contributor
64 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

Do you plan to venture outside of Halifax at all? If you are looking to do some hiking, there is a great spot in the Annapolis Valley called Cape Split. It is a very common weekend activity to hike to the lookout, have a picnic and then hike back down, probably about 1.5 hrs from Halifax. There is also a spot called "The Lookoff" on the way, where you can get an amazing view of the entire valley. Also in the same area is Blomidon National Park, which has a great beach/picnic area (although, too cold to swim, IMO). Nearby is Wolfville, which is a very pretty (but small) university town with great cafe's (I highly recommend trying a crepe at The Naked Crepe- they're awesome!) and restaurants. There are also many winery's in the area, if that is your thing.

In PEI, Charlottetown is certainly the best spot for food and shopping; however, my favourite beach BY FAR is singing sands, on the east shore (about 1.5 hrs from Charlottetown). There is a bridge that you can jump off and the current in the water takes you for a ride. There are always lots of people jumping off of the bridge- super fun.

If you have any questions about either of these areas feel free to message me :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
545 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halifax to Montreal Itinerary

If the car rental agency doesnt allow you to drive the car across the border a nice plan-B would be Quebec's entire Gaspe Peninsula with a ferry from Matane to Quebecs North Shore with a whale watching excursion in Tadoussac.

Edited: 04 April 2013, 09:02