We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montreal stay - day trip to Quebec city

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
edinburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
montreal stay - day trip to Quebec city

We are staying in montreal for 5 nights (18-22 May) and during this time we are considering

a full day trip to Quebec city. Is this feasible and if so what is the best way to get there

as we will not be renting a car.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: montreal stay - day trip to Quebec city

Consider that Quebec city is roughly 3 hours from Montreal, longer if you take the train or bus. That's 6 hours of travelling!

Some people would tell you that it's possible, but most DEs would agree that it's a terrible plan. A better alternative would be for you to spend a night in Quebec City.

As for not renting a car, you can take a Orlean Express bus to QC, there is a departure every hour. You can take the bus at the Gare d'autocar de montreal. The places on the bus are first come first serve, so get there a bit in advance, otherwise you might have to take the next bus. I suggest you purchase your ticket on site, NOT ONLINE. You get no benefit buying online, only problems.

My boyfriend once did this, and changed his mind. Now they will not refund him because it was purchased online. If purchased on site they would refund....

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: montreal stay - day trip to Quebec city

Good suggestions from Sylve. I always advise against a day trip to the city. If you were a visitor to Glasgow, would you consider 'doing' Edinburgh as a day trip? You certainly could, but what justice would it do to your beautiful city?

I would like to add that when the buses are fully occupied, Orléans Express pulls another one within minutes, it's not like you have to wait 1 hour for the next bus to come and go.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: montreal stay - day trip to Quebec city

I agree whole-heartedly with my fellow DE's. If you simply had to do a one day trip I do believe the Gray Line bus line offers a tour from Peel Street in Montreal to Quebec City, including Old Town Quebec City plus a few surrounding sites. It would, however, as suggested, be a very long day.

JDP

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,681 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: montreal stay - day trip to Quebec city

By bus it is also 3 hours each way, and by train 3 hrs and 15 minutes each way. Train is the least tiring of all.

I sometimes go back and forth when I have to, and have been with visitors on a day trip, too. It is better than not going at all but not as nice as going overnight.

Both bus and train stop at same station (called Gare du Palais) in Quebec City, which is very close to main attractions and a short walk to charming Lower Town and the covered food market (le Marché du Vieux-Port). Old Quebec is compact and certainly worth seeing, even just for a few hours.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,811 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: montreal stay - day trip to Quebec city

Indeed it is better than not going at all and I am one of the DES that disagree as I have done day trips to Québec City so many times, most of them by bus.

Buses are much more convenient than trains as there is a much better service with hourly departures as mentioned. Buses leaves Montréal on the hour from 6 am onward and leaves from Qc on the half hour until 10h30 pm.

Alas, contrarily to what Eirelover wrote the bus company (Orléans Express) has gained a derogation from it's chart from the government. They don't have to pull out another bus right away for even one passenger anymore. That can be important for the last bus leaving Québec City and arrival 45 minutes in advance at the station would be suggested.

Both trains and buses takes about 3h15 and their terminal in Old Québec is the same: Gare du Palais.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: montreal stay - day trip to Quebec city

Thankyou to everyone for their replies -it has helped greatly in clarifying our options.

We have not yet made a final decision but still feel we would like to see Quebec city

while on vacation.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 15:16
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: montreal stay - day trip to Quebec city

I also think it's better to do a day trip than no trip, just as it's better to spend a night there, if you can. Since I much prefer the train to the bus, I say take the early train there -- and buying your tickets well in advance makes it a lot cheaper -- but then take the bus back since the schedule is so much better. And while Québec City is very pretty, it's special because it's a European-style town here in North America, so someone from such an impressive place as Edinburgh might go "Well, it's nice and all that, but it looks like a town should, what's all the fuss about?" :)

8. Re: montreal stay - day trip to Quebec city

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 06:18