We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
11 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

My wife and I are celebrating the start of the next chapter in our lives with a weekend in Montreal in June. It is our first time in Montreal and we are staying at the Hotel Nelligan on Rue St Paul by Notre Dame.

I would like some suggestions on:

1. A nice quiet romantic restaurant. Referably one where our atrocious French won't be an embarassment, but i am working on that. Cab rides are ok, if necessary.

2. We honeymooned in Paris for a week many years ago. Every morning we would buy a loaf of bread, cheese, pate, wine(?) and set out exploring. I would like to do that again. So if someone can suggest a little boulangerie or shop(s) around our hotel i would be most grateful. It may just be a stroll and picnic along the canal or in a park; suggestions for that also appreciated.

Thank you

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

Because you seem like wanting to redo the "Paris Experience"... why not find time to eat at L'Express. (Can be for breakfast or lunch!) It's not the most romantic spot (check the link below)... but for someone who is looking for Paris while your are in Montreal.. it could make sense.

http://restaurantlexpress.ca/#/table/

Can't help you with the boulangerie or shop... unfortunately... Old Montreal and the downtown area are not the best spots for this type of shops. To get everything you listed, the closest would be Atwater Market (and it is not that close...) or a supermarket (Metro at Complexe Desjardins or Notre-Dame at de la Montagne St....No as sexy as you'd want it to be!) If you were staying on the Plateau Mont-Royal,,, it would be a different story!

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

For a very special evening, I will suggest Europea.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

The exact same thing. Europea for the fancy dining night (mention that it is for a special occasion when making reservation) and L'Express for the real French bistro experience.

In Old Mtl Olive et Gourmando could fit the bill for your breakfast. If going downtown then the bakery Au Pain Doré on Peel Street, north of Sainte-Catherine is offering all kind of viennoiseries, breads and patés. You can order things to carry out but can also order on the main floor and then bring the goodies to the second floor where you can sit down at small tables and order your bowl of café au lait or other morning drinks.

Montreal, QC
Level Contributor
56 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

Here are a few recommendations for romantic restaurants:

Barroco a few steps away from your hotel serves upscale Spanish cuisine in a very intimate yet trendy setting.

Da Vince in downtown's Concordia area is an upscale, posh Italian restaurant.

Il Cortile, also in downtown's Concordia area (or Golden Square Mile to be exact), also Italian, is an excellent place in summer, due to their gorgeous courtyard.

As for the French experience, look no further than Marché Atwater, where you can find the best farmers' produce, as well as cheeses and anything local you can think of. There is also a liquor store next to it for your wine needs.

York Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
11 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

Thank you. Marché Atwater is on our list and sounds perfect. We will check out the restaurants.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

If you feel like biking thenyou could rent bikes at Ca Roule in Old Montreal, it is just a few minutes from the start of the Lachine Canal bike path that will lead you directly to Atwater Market and there are plenty of spaces along the canal to have lunch al fresco. At the bike rental you will be provided with helmets, locks and maps of all the bicycle paths.

It is not a place that I recommend often because it is very much below the radar but that I like and 51deals just reminded me. The courtyard at Il Cortile is absolutely lovely on a summer night.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

If you feel like biking thenyou could rent bikes at Ca Roule in Old Montreal, it is just a few minutes from the start of the Lachine Canal bike path that will lead you directly to Atwater Market and there are plenty of spaces along the canal to have lunch al fresco. At the bike rental you will be provided with helmets, locks and maps of all the bicycle paths.

It is not a place that I recommend often because it is very much below the radar but that I like and 51deals just reminded me. The courtyard at Il Cortile is absolutely lovely on a summer night.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

For wine, there is an SAQ store across from Notre Dame. They are the province run liquor stores and their wine selection is excellant.

Don't worry about speaking French. Yes, do use a few phrases, "bon jour" "merci" etc. but most everyone in the tourist areas will speak English also. Just don't assume they do, but again even if you start speaking French they will almost always switch to English if they hear you struggling.

As for restaurants, one great spot just down the street a 1 Rue St. Paul Quest, is Modavie. Good for lunch, or if you happen to be in the mood for jazz at night. Very good wine list as well. Your hotel also has a very good restaurant, Versus, and take advantage of their Sky Terrace as well.

With respect to L'Express, I'm the contrarian here on that one. Very good food but it can be noisey.

JDP

MA
Level Contributor
81 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

I would also recommend il cortile on Sherbrooke. We go there at least two times each trip. Small setting, lovely courtyard, warm service and romantic in my opinion. I always have the gnocchis with Gorgonzola and smoked salmon for an appetizer. The location is tucked away from the bustle of the street. They serve Barolo wine by the glass! Wish I were there right now!

Edited: 29 April 2013, 21:53
MA
Level Contributor
81 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need a couple suggestions for a romantic weekend in June

I would also recommend il cortile on Sherbrooke. We go there at least two times each trip. Small setting, lovely courtyard, warm service and romantic in my opinion. I always have the gnocchis with Gorgonzola and smoked salmon for an appetizer. The location is tucked away from the bustle of the street. They serve Barolo vine by the glass! Wish I were there right now!