We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No right turn on a red light!!!

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Topic
No right turn on a red light!!!

At lunch time, I dashed out for a meal at cafe boulud. On my way there, I saw a car with a New Jersey plate almost run over a pedestrian as the car took a right turn on a red light. This is illegal in Montreal as it is in my former home, manhattan. I understand these are the only two places in North America where this is illegal. When entering the island of Montreal, there are conspicuous signs regarding this prohibition. It is difficult to miss if you are paying any attention and these are pictograms accompanied by bilingual legends. Two weeks ago, i saw car with an Ontario plate doing the same thing. I remember a post a few years ago where a tourist complained that a pedestrian banged on his car and complained that Montreal was dangerous/inhabited by savages. Perhaps that poster also ran through a red light. Anyway, it was a pretty close call today but fortunately, no one got hurt.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No right turn on a red light!!!

I have seen it happen this week as well Platipus. There are signs on the highways as you enter the city alerting drivers to the law. Crossing the road in Montreal is already challenging enough for pedestrians without tourists trying to mow them down.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No right turn on a red light!!!

Sure, blame the tourists!!!! (Just kidding my friends) But I agree, it is well marked driving into the city what you can and can't do while driving. But I will say big city driving is a different experience no matter which big city you are in and extra care is always required.

JDP

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No right turn on a red light!!!

Though the signage is there, people will inevitably miss the rules of the road....no different than speed limits, especially through Montreal! People pick and choose what rules they follow, regardless where they are from...

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No right turn on a red light!!!

A pedestrian crossing phase on the traffic lights would be a great thing in Montreal. The lack of it causes so many problems. Crossing roads downtown is like playing frogger.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No right turn on a red light!!!

It is illegal. But even it it wasn't, in ANY city, you must first check you blind spot to make sure there are no comming pedestrians or bikes before turning on the red light.

Tourists beware: ignorance of the laws does not constitute a defense against a ticket, and tourists are not immune. It's your responsibility to know the laws of the city you are visiting.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No right turn on a red light!!!

Likely caused by the fact that instead of allowing it and putting up the signs everywhere it isn't, we instead insist that putting up one big sign outside of the city limits is enough to get the message into everyone's head. One sign on the highway... never works because it just doesn't seem relevant just before you cross a bridge.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No right turn on a red light!!!

Well at ll time at intersections pedestrians have priority over car and their more or less crazy driver. More than what Silve wrote: «you must first check you blind spot to make sure there are no comming pedestrians or bikes before turning on the red lightas it is not only on red lights. If a little old lady has problems crossing a street during her green light time then drivers are supposed to wait past the yellow lines until she or whoever else is secure.

Personally I worked at a food plant in the West Island, just along the service road of Trans-Canada Highway. My stop was one street after the plant and when walking back to cross the nearest corner there was a light with the traditional green but also a green right arow. I don't know how many times I got honked at, yelled at, almost pushed and everytime I would mention pedestrian priority the answer was the usual «v-s ch--r».

With some Italian friends this week I was discussing on how cowboys can the Italian drivers be in Italy. It might be a little less in other part of the world but, unless you are in a highly law respectful society like Japan or Singapore, always assume that there is a cowboy or F1 race driver wannabe behind the wheel.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No right turn on a red light!!!

Sadly, there are far too many idiots behind the wheel who should never have been issued a license in the first place .

9. Re: No right turn on a red light!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 05:16