We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal July 3-7

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montreal July 3-7

I've read through the forum and reviews, and first want to thank everyone for the terrific information available here. Based on that review, I've made the following itinerary for a trip July 3-7 with my husband. I would love any suggestions for other places we should see, food we should eat, bars we should stop at, etc., or if we should revamp something because I've made a poor selections or have us traveling back and forth unnecessarily. Thanks in advance for any tips! We're staying at Le Square Phillips if that helps--age: early 30s, interests: history, food, drink, culture.

Thanks again!

Wednesday - Arrive 2pm

Dinner: Brasserie T

Leon Russell Concert at Theatre Maisonneuve

Dessert: L'Express

Thursday

Breakfast: The Mon Cafe

Pointe-a-Calliere

Lunch: Kam Fung

Notre-Dame Basillica

Chateua Ramezay

Walk around Old Port area

Dinner: Les 400 Coups

Friday

Breakfast: Jean Talon Market

Explore Rue St. Catherine

Lunch: Bonaparte

Mont Royal

Dinner: Europea

Saturday

Breakfast: Olive+Gourmando

Botanical Gardens

Lunch: Casee-Croute La Banquise

Jazz Festival

Dinner: A L'Aventure

Explore Old Montreal at night

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal July 3-7

Forgot to add--we know that Les 400 Coups, Bonaparte, and Europea are pretty pricey (along with L'Express, but I saw that it's supposed to be good for post-theatre dessert). We have reservations at all these places but may cancel at least 1--we're having a difficult time choosing. I'd appreciate any recommendations about which of these you would cut and what you would suggest as a good replacement (Middle Eastern, Indian, or sushi recommendations would be particularly great). Thank you.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal July 3-7

I'd dump Brasserie T in a heartbeat, unless you were really looking forward to the location or having Brasserie food, I prefer F Bar anyway, but I have had mixed reports lately. And you couldn't pay me enough to go to Bonaparte, but I'm not a fan of stuffy. I haven't been to Europea, but it is on my bucket list.

To that list, I might add Mas Cuisine, which is in Verdun. Pintxo in the Plateau. Grenadine if you want to try BYOB. And L'Express for dessert? Juliette et Chocolat instead? Or if you just want ice cream Meu-Meu or Ripples, though I am more of a Meu-Meu guy.

Do you have reservations for Europea, because for a Friday night they are usually very hard to get. And if I had to choose THE meal to have in Montreal, you would see me at Joe Beef or Liverpool House any day.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal July 3-7

Thank you! (And happy Canada Day!) F Bar's right near Brasserie T, right? We just picked Brasserie T because I knew it was close to the theater, but the food at F Bar looks more interesting. I'll put Juliette et Chocolat and Meu-Meu on my list. The dinner restaurants look like great suggestions--I'll start looking at menus now.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal July 3-7

Yes, F Bar is next to Brasserie T. If you can get a reservation, so is Boullion Bilk on St-Laurent close to the theatre.

At Kam Fung, my favourites are the Lo Mai Gai (rice in lotus leaf) and Chiu-chao or Fun Guo (peanut dumplings).

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,654 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal July 3-7

Mine at Kam Fung are the fried schrimp dumpling. And they are served, of all things, with mayonnaise!

You are covering a lot of ground in one day. You should focus more on one area at a time. For example L'Express is not really a dessert place, more of a late evening dinner one. For example beside the usual bistro fare they also feature some sandwiches on French baguettes, etc. But going all the way there for just dessert? Café du Nouveau Monde which is right in the Quartier des Spectacles could be more appropriate for dessert, it is in a theater so they are used to that kind of request.

Your day in Old Montréal is perfect.

The day in Jean-Talon Market unless you are going very early, plan for lunch there or nearby too. Many Vietnamese places on Jean-Talon Street and you could also try Nicola Travaglini www.nicolatravaglini.com/. and coming back to your hotel to dress up of Europea will not be a problem. Skip Bonaparte and visit downtown, including Sainte-Catherine Street that afternoon. Coming back from the market you could stop at the Mont-Royal métro station and take bus 11 to go to the main lookout on Mount-Royal. From there you could walk downhill to get downtown on foot. If you want you can make a stop at the Museum of Fine Arts, the permanent collection is free and the Chihuly special exhibition ($) is a stunner.

Last day going all the way to La Banquise after the Botanical Garden and after Olives et Gourmando in Old Montréal is a looong way particularly since the Garden is currently exhibiting very interesting mosaïcultures and that will take some time to see. The café there is supposed to be reopen now so no use to go somewhere else for lunch.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal July 3-7

This is wonderful, thank you both. So we're getting rid of reservations at Brasserie T, L'Express, and Bonaparte. And I love the host of options for dinner and dessert tomorrow. F Bar appears to be booked, but Bouillon Bilk looks delicious, and Cafe du Nouveau Monde is much closer than L'Express. Then maybe we'll do La Banquise for dinner Saturday and Meu-Meu for dessert, skipping L'Aventure, and allowing more time at the Botanical Gardens. I really appreciate the help. Based on the list of places I want to visit and restaurants where I want to eat, I think we'll have to come back.

7. Re: Montreal July 3-7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 05:18