We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

We'll be visiting for a total of 7 nights and will be driving. Should we spend 4 nights in Montreal and 3 in Quebec City or vice-versa or ?????

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

This question has been discussed extensively in this forum. Just search it. If you are looking for specific input, you should give us more info about you such as likes and dislikes, do you have mobility problems, etc.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

In terms of general expectations: Montréal is the big city, which means more stuff to do and more areas to visit away from the touristy (and lovely and architecturally interesting) Old Montréal; however, it's also more urban and a fairly gritty city, so although it has its beautiful bits, it also has its ugly bits, and the way its set up as a tourist you will come across some of these uglier bits since they're in between places of interest. Québec City is a government town and a beautiful one at that with its old town being quaint and romantic, and right next door is some impressive nature such as the Montmorency falls or even further (but daytrip-able) Charlevoix or Saguenay regions. However, Québec also feels a little like a resort town, where except for the touristy old town and a few small inner neighbourhoods, there ain't much else of interest.

I would say 4 in Montréal 3 in Québec but then I live in Montréal.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 02:06
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

Four-three Montreal....

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

Yes 4:3 the survey says. Montreal might be gritty, but the grittiest parts compare well vs Hoboken for example, so I wouldn't worry about the gritty comment, Montreal is very safe for a city with about 4 million inhabitants.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

Thanks. I love the comparison of the gritty parts of Montreal to Hoboken -- sounds great!

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

In that case make sure you try beer pubs like dieu du ciel.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

While I higlhy respect Tristou and Platipus, I never think of Montreal as gritty. Yes there are parts that resemble any number of urban US cities, but there are also many parts that don't even come close, Old Montreal and some of the residental housing to name just a few. And there are the cultural differences, though again there will be many similariteis also. And the food is world class.

But again I'm prejudiced also.

And yes to the 4/3 division.

JDP

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

Thanks, we are saying the same thing - Montreal is not *that* gritty.

9. Re: How many days Montreal vs Quebec City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 05:19