We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting bus and metro tickets

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Getting bus and metro tickets

My husband & I are coming to Montreal for 6 nights: Sun - Sat next summer. On the Tues, Wed & Thurs I intend to buy the 3 day Museum and transport pass.

So on the Mon and the Fri and the Sat I want to:

Mon: Travel on the 61 bus from Old Montreal to Downtown. Then travel back by Metro.

Fri & Sat: Travel out from Place D’Armes and back, one journey e.w. by metro.

So that's 5 metro trips each and one bus.

Can we buy the bus ticket on the bus?

Can we buy 10 metro tickets together to be cheaper, and share them?

We don't want to buy an Opus card.

Thank you for your help.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Getting bus and metro tickets

The 2 for $5.50 is also available at other points of sale http://www.stm.info/en/info/fares/points-sale although it comes on the Occasional card, not as 2 separate tickets if you buy it in the métro.

As a tourist, I really like having the option of just hopping on a bus or the métro whenever I feel like it, so I prefer having a pass where they are available. When you have a pass, you use it, and given that I've already spent thousands of $$$ getting to the place, I figure a few extra dollars is worth the sense of freedom, not worrying if I have the right change or having to buy another ticket in a language I don't speak, and if I've walked to a neighbourhood and I'm bored with it, say, or if it starts raining, well, I can just grab a bus. I've also often taken the bus without even knowing where it goes as a way of exploring a city, although more so in my youth before we had so much technology.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Getting bus and metro tickets

If we go to the attendant in the metro can we buy 2 trips cheaper without an opus card (thank you MamaJMontreal)? If that is so may we also buy 10 tickets cheaper without an opus card?

Just a thought!

Montreal
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Getting bus and metro tickets

You can buy 5 x 2 trips, but you cannot buy the even cheaper 10 trip package without an opus card.

It isn't clear to me whether 2 people can use the 2 trips ( ie one trip each)

stm.info/en/info/fares/transit-fares/2-trips

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Getting bus and metro tickets

If you buy them in the métro, you get separate tickets and you can hand one to your husband no problem. If you buy them from a point of sale, you get an Occasional card and cannot share it -- it deducts one fare and then acts as a transfer until your time is up (2 hours). Same thing for the Opus card.

And as mentioned: the transfers are good for transferring but not for doing a round-trip: the ticket will not let you take the same bus line or get back into the métro system once you leave it; you have to use another ticket. The only "cheat" you can do is to take, say, the métro to your destination and a bus back, or use 2 different bus lines there and back, although you have to catch the trip back before 2 hours.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Getting bus and metro tickets

5 x 2 trips is fine, thank you all very much!

16. Re: Getting bus and metro tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 05:19