We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dance & Dine Thanksgiving Weekend

Boston
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Dance & Dine Thanksgiving Weekend

Disco diva aging gracefully & hubby (50s) are wondering about Black and Blue dance party events Thanksgiving weekend: Arsenal event sounds like a blast but expensive, given we’d probably fade out by 1am.

1.Would Sky Pub tea dance/ 13 Oct be OK for straight couple our age or is it a younger scene where we would stick out? Prefer house to trance, classic disco/funk to either.

2.We are also looking for restaurant suggestions: Looking for funky/eclectic décor, welcoming vibe, creative cuisine but NOT pretentious/super expensive or teeny-tiny portions [entrees under $30- preferably less!] Lean French but any cuisine, except seafood heavy, would do. We like Holder and have done L’Express a couple of times. Staying in Old Montreal, interested in other areas of town.

Many thanks in advance.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dance & Dine Thanksgiving Weekend

Hmm... I don't know of any dance place filled with 50-year-olds unless it's a smokey tango place in Buenos Aires. But perhaps now that I'm approaching 50, I just don't get out enough, and besides, Buenos Aires is smoke-free now, too :)

Don't know about the tea dance, but Sky Pub's normal 5 à 7 (known as happy hour in the rest of the world) is filled with an older crowd, although almost exclusively gay men. The Black and Blue itself is extremely mixed gay-straight, and although mostly young, certainly has enough old people that you wouldn't be stared at like you were aliens; however, if you start fading at 1:00 not so sure it's the place for you.

For food: perhaps you could try Les Cabotins out in the Maisonneuve area -- it's along a nice little section of Sainte-Catherine that few people know about -- getting there (via, say, the 34 Sainte-Catherine from Papineau) you go through the less pretty Hochelaga part, but after oh, Pie-IX it turns into very nice tramway suburb from the turn of the century.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dance & Dine Thanksgiving Weekend

Tramway suburb, love that Tristou and it is really fitting.

Well a second gay guy in the same age bracket than you llamatrax and Tristou and it is funny that a straight couple knows more than we do! Unless you are a gay couple??? You are coming from Massachusetts after all!.

Yup too old for the Black & Blue and not my cup of tea!

Anyways I tend to agree with Tristou although I would say that if Sky Pub has a wide array of guys in different age groups their regular clientele is usually guppies. It shows my age using that term but it still aplplies. That is particularly evident later in the evening and this is the clientele that you will encounter in such a party.

As for the Arsenal party I would completely agree with Tristou, re your early (Montréal standard) departure.

May I suggest an evening at Chez Mado. Two drag shows but you can dance on the stage between and after shows and the clientèle is very diverse on Fridays and Saturdays, age wise and orientation wise.

Restaurants, downtown may be Beaver Hall, near the Village Grain de Sel or .Le Petit Extra although the latter might be over your stated budget.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dance & Dine Thanksgiving Weekend

"Lean French". Reminds me of jumbo shrimp.

Boston
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dance & Dine Thanksgiving Weekend

Thanks! Yes, coming to the same conclusion about Arsenal. Expensive night out if not going to stay up all night.

Boston
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dance & Dine Thanksgiving Weekend

Thanks! Yes, an expensive night out if not staying up all night.

Boston
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dance & Dine Thanksgiving Weekend

Sorry for the double post, same subject. HaHa-no, we are not a gay couple- just a straight girl who loves to dance and husband who doesn't mind going to a club once in awhile, maybe a little more now that kid has gone off to college!

Checked out the Black and Blue website after seeing the event on Montreal Tourism events calendar. Wanted to know about Sky Bar tea dance (listed on B&B website 4-11pm 10-13) since I saw some Yelp reviews that suggested that that it was fine for straight couples. Will look into Chez Mado also & other resto suggestions. Looking forward to the weekend!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dance & Dine Thanksgiving Weekend

Give us some feedback here on your thread or write a separate Trip Report.

8. Re: Dance & Dine Thanksgiving Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 05:17