We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Montreal

Boston
Level Contributor
285 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Montreal

We are family of 4 planning to spend x'mas in Montreal. Girls are 16 & 13. We have 4-6 days and driving from Boston. Love skiing, love horse back riding and French food. Want to try dog sledding too. We are budget conscious travelers. Open to drive to Mt. Tremblant to ski & dog sledding but heard it is expensive there. Is there an alternative that is closer & cheaper? Thank you.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,034 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Montreal

Well if you want to be in the fake village at the foot of the mountain or nearby you will pay for that but there are cheaper accomodations around, particularly around the former village of Saint Jovite, now part of the aglomerated City of Mont-Tremblant For example the Comfort Inn and Suites at 860 rue LaLonde, will fit your needs and you will be near the supermarkets and could cook some of your meals. Also restaurants in Saint=Jovite are cheaper then at the Mountain and it is actually only a 15 minutes or less drive fo the mountain.

Horseback riding will not be available at this time and you must figure that mushing dog sleds is much harder than what you can expect when you look at postcard picture perfects photos. Anyways there are many activities around and you will find something that will suit you and your family I am pretty sure of that. Start by looking at the official Activity Center and they might provide you with what you need or you could actually contact the purveyors directly to see how prices connects.

Well now comes the usual speech about French cuisine. We are not French and our traditional or modern cuisine is much different from what you get in France. For example we have baked beans like in Boston except that they are sweetened with molasses or maple syrup, etc.etc. As a matter of fact many restaurants around are owned by local chefs that had classical French training but nowadays are doing their own riffs on that. Of course it applies to Montréal as well as in Mont-Tremblant. In fact in Mont-Tremblant there is only one real French Restaurant, Le Cheval de Jade but also sEb L'Artisan Culinaire that is owned by a Québécois chef and offer very elaborate food.. Both are on the expensive side though.

Edited: 02 November 2013, 03:12
Boston
Level Contributor
285 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Montreal

Thank you rickb. Very helpful and amusing too. We have visited before sans enfants. Forgot to ask, how is the skiing during x'mas. I know snow is never a sure thing here in Dec but maybe up in Mt. T they may already have enough? Cheers.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,034 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Montreal

Since your questions seems more related to Mont-Tremblant than to Montréal I suggest that you post your queries on that forum. I am sure that some other DEs and regulars will be more able to answer your questions than myself as I don't ski.

In Montréal you will find less expensive French restaurants than at Tremblant, for example L'Express which is the epitome of a French bistro in North-America and that your daughters will probably adore. Andiamo is not French or Italian but Northern Med with heavy emphasis on fish and offers very affordable table d'hôte.

Oh and if you want to do both Montréal and Mont-Tremblant and driving from Boston you will probably need 6 days and not 3.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Montreal

i went dogsledding with my girlfriend with Expedition Wolf...it's pretty far, about 1-1.5 hours north of tremblant but it was definitely worth it. great service, a nice casual romp through the woods with a break for cocoa, they let you play with the dogs...it was a perfect day. and you'll almost certanly have enough snow for skiing around xmas.

http://www.expeditionwolf.com/

5. Re: Christmas in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 06:20