We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitng Quebec Ciy and Monreal City

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palo Alto
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Visitng Quebec Ciy and Monreal City

We have a wedding in Montreal at the beginning of June. We would like to spend a week before the wedding visiting Montreal and Quebec. We are thinking of flying into Montreal and then renting a car to drive from the airport to Quebec City. We are thinking of spending one or two nights in Quebec City. I have heard that the surrounding areas are beautiful and rural. I would like to know what people think is better: renting a car and exploring the surroundings or taking a train/bus from Montreal to Quebec City and focusing on that. We will then return to Montreal for four or five days.

Toronto
Level Contributor
822 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitng Quebec Ciy and Monreal City

Car. Everytime.

The drive from Montreal to Quebec City is about 3-3 1/2 hours and having a car gives you the flexibility to stop when/where you want and stretch your legs. Personally, I'd spend 2 nights in QC, explore the old town, its a great city for walking, soak in the history. Food is pretty good as well!

Have fun!

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,662 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitng Quebec Ciy and Monreal City

Well the car allows you to definitely explore the surrounding area on your own, especially Ile d'Orleans, Montmorency Falls, and St. Ann de Beaupre Badcillica if you want to see that. You certainly won't need a car in Old Quebec itself. And it is a great time of year to see the island as well. The drive is also pretty easy, and boring, about 150 miles in under 3 hours. The quickest and easiet way is Route 20, south of the St. Lawrence River.

Between the bus or train I always recommend the train, just more comfortable, but again there will be no scenery to speak of. If you did that you could then take tours to the areas I mentioned, but again your time is limited, not to mention your freedom, though the tours are well done.

If you really want to explore and take your time then rent the car would be my opinion.

JDP

PS, one final thought, you can always take the train and rent a car in Quebec City for the day. The areas I mentioned usually don't need more than that.

3. Re: Visitng Quebec Ciy and Monreal City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:16