We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help on deciding where to spend the new year's eve

Reno, Nevada...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
help on deciding where to spend the new year's eve

Hi! This is my first time traveling to east coast of US and Canada with friends from 12/20-1/5, but we have a big dilemma here. We will be in NYC till Christmas and leave to Niagara falls on the 26th, then 28th, 29th in Toronto. We want to go to Montreal after that, but from what I have read that Montreal really deserves more than a couple of days, so that means we have to miss the new year's Eve in NY.

So, if anyone who knows these places well can give me some of their thoughts about if going back to NY for the new year's eve would be the best thing or staying in Montreal or maybe Quebec city would be fun for New Year's eve too ?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help on deciding where to spend the new year's eve

Well I lived in NYC over two NYE and both times we walked to, well I should say the far vicinity of Times Square and both times we decided to retreat home and look at it on TV. It is a zoo fueled by heavy drinking!

So if you are looking for that kind of experience then go but, otherwise I would say that you could head to Québec City to have a bit more of a quiet time but still with a lot of reveling. Part of Grande Allée is closed to traffic, you have activities on the street and outdoor bars, etc. Even a Ferris Wheel! Last year they had Boy George as a DJ spinning the tables outdoor until the fireworks and then retreating into one of the clubs.

Montréal in winter has less appeal than in summer so actually just 2 days will give you a good sample of what to see. Then you could head to Québec City where it is really a winter wonderland around.

Reno, Nevada...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help on deciding where to spend the new year's eve

Thanks! I was thinking if we should just totally cut out Quebec City but seems like that's not a good idea! I will probably just skip the NYE in NY......I was kinda of thinking about all the hassles I have to go through to truly enjoy the night there too....Thanks for your input! That sounds like fun in QC too!

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,479 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help on deciding where to spend the new year's eve

For more info about NYE in Montréal …about.com/od/…new_years_eve.htm

I would go to the grand bal in the Old Port...

Reno, Nevada...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help on deciding where to spend the new year's eve

Yeah...the grand ball is kind of the new year's eve i would like to have...looks fun and definitely not as crowded as Times Square lol

5. Re: help on deciding where to spend the new year's eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17