We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last-minute possible New Year's trip to Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Plattsburgh, New...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Last-minute possible New Year's trip to Montreal

I am planning a possible one or two night trip to Montreal to surprise my girlfriend over New Year's. I have only been to Montreal twice (even though I live in the Plattsburgh, NY area). Obviously, because I've waited till the last minute, hotels are relatively expensive in the downtown/Old Montreal areas.

I am just wondering, what events are there downtown on New Year's Eve and where are the fireworks set off? Also, is it worth spending the extra bucks to stay in Old Montreal, opposed to staying outside the city for a cheaper rate? We're both college students so we don't have a ton of money to spend... we would probably only be able to afford one night if we stayed in Old Montreal, opposed to possibly 2 nights if we stayed at a cheaper, farther away hotel say in a nearby suburb (Brossard?).

Any suggestions for hotels that are good options? We would like to stay preferably at a hotel in a safe area. I also understand that parking for the hotels in the downtown areas is expensive, but I am able to pay for it so long as it's only for one night.

Thanks for your help!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last-minute possible New Year's trip to Montreal

Hello, I'm a college student from Montreal (I currently live at home and go to McGill). I would definitely recommend staying in downtown Montreal or Old Montreal. It's a different experience from staying outside the city. However, if you decide to do that, the public transit is quite good so it shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.

I believe there are fireworks in the Old Port area on New Year's Eve (a quick google search might confirm that).

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,847 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last-minute possible New Year's trip to Montreal

Here is info about NYE on Montréal found with a quick search on Google: …about.com/od/…new_years_eve.htm

Don't forget to add parking fees to your hotel cost anywhere on the island.. It will be cheaper to stay off the island (Brossard) but you will have to add parking in Montréal when you go out that night. (about 10$-15$)

Try hotwire to find a cheaper rate...

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last-minute possible New Year's trip to Montreal

I really would recommend you stay at a hotel on the island, even if it isn't in Old Montreal. Being an island, Montreal traffic can sometimes be a pain, parking is difficult and there are a lot of one ways which can make driving a pain. If you are going to a NYE party, the taxi alone to Brossard will cost you more, and since alcohol might be involved, not taking your car is a wise move.

You can try and find better rates by bidding on sites such as priceline or hotwire. Of course, New Years will have higher prices, so it's hard to estimate how much of a deal you'll be able to make, but sometimes you can get a nice hotel at dirt cheap prices. Try not to go lower than 3.5 stars.

Overnight parking at a hotel is usually more expensive, but you can find cheaper rates at a nearby lot around the corner. 18$ a night is a good rate for a indoors lot, less if it's not overnight parking.

Alternatively, you could stay in Sandman Hotel in Longueuil, which is just off the island but still has the convenience of being walking distance from the metro station. So you can park your car and forget about it.

Hope this helps :)

4. Re: Last-minute possible New Year's trip to Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2014, 06:18