We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break - Flying over from England

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Break - Flying over from England

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Montreal during Spring Break for the first time. I'm in my early 30s and love my trance/dance music especially the stuff during the late 90/2000s.

I've read the reviews on TA but can't decide on which resort/hotel? Budget is not really an issue, so would prefer 3/4 star hotels that a lively but still a little classy. Is Montreal a good choice for great party/clubbing location?

One of things I haven't been able to find out and would really appreciate any responses to is "if Montreal has good a good mix of people/cosmopolitan crowd" - As I'd like to meet people from around the world? I flying over from the UK and wondered if being British is going to be issue?

Many thanks,

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break - Flying over from England

Montreal is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. Seriously.

Can't comment about hotel choice, but would recommend you to have a look at this website: http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/blog/

I assume you would be interested in visiting a night club - check out New City Gas (http://newcitygas.com/)

London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break - Flying over from England

Thank you for the prompt response Nastya.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,539 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break - Flying over from England

>>"I flying over from the UK and wondered if being British is going to be issue?"<<

Hi TravelBug10001;

As a citizen of the UK, all you need to visit Canada, is your valid passport.

If your concern was more about not speaking French...you don't need to. You may wish to read these previous topics which have a considerable amount of positive comments.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k2284…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k1554…

Best Regards

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break - Flying over from England

During world war 2, the Crown Jewels were moved from London to Montreal and stored in the huge vault in the basement of the Sun Life building, which I believe was at one point the tallest building in the British commonwealth.

If the Crown Jewels were store there in Montreal, I think it is a pretty good indication that Montreal would have been the capital if the British empire had London fallen to the nazis.

In short: as a Brit, you should feel more at home in Montreal than most other cities in the world.

London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break - Flying over from England

Thanks for the info and reassurance folks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break - Flying over from England

I can't speak French is that going to be an issue?

London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break - Flying over from England

Is it possible to get to Niagara Falls from Montreal? if so how long would it take?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break - Flying over from England

No it will not be an issue. Learn a few basic phrases if you can as it does add to the experience.

Tourism is a huge industry here and most people you will come in contact with will speak enough English for you to do just fine.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Break - Flying over from England

Driving from Montréal to Niagara in the best of conditions (no traffic + clear roads + no stopping enroute) takes about 6,5 hours..... so it is not exactly close by.

The best way to go in the winter would be to take the train or fly to Toronto, then take a bus to Niagara.

London, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring Break - Flying over from England

Eek...6.5 hours...seems very far. Is Toronto better place to stay then? If so, is Toronto a party city?