We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maria goretti residence

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
maria goretti residence

Hey guys I will be in Montreal for a month in Feb and I was planning to get a room at the Maria goretti residence. Just wondering if that's a good idea, security wise as well as in general. It's close to where I need to be so it makes sense. I just want to get an opinion on it from anyone who is familiar with the place. Looking forward to any responses. Thanks!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maria goretti residence

Well on googling it appears to be a women only University dorm, so I can only imagine the security is good. Montreal is generally very safe.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maria goretti residence

Montreal is very safe, just like any big city you just have to have some street smarts....

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maria goretti residence

If your situation fits in their rules then it could be nice but be aware that it is far from downtown and the nearby métro (subway) station doesn't really make transportation fast as it is on the blue line on the north side of Mount Royal so a transfer and a long ride are necessary.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: maria goretti residence

Thank you guys for the prompt responses. Well I'll be in Montreal mostly for work in the area and then I plan to explore the city on weekends, so approximately how long will the transfer be from the blue line to downtown? Could someone suggest a trustworthy website to browse through short term apartment rentals as well? Im looking for something cheaper,about $700 / month or lower,or is that wishful thinking? I'm looking to be in the Côte-Sainte-Catherine, cote-des-neiges neighborhood.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 19:37
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maria goretti residence

Wishful thinking indeed for $700 a month. My son pays way more than that plus electricity and heating and he is not so central. For a months rental you are really looking at $1000 plus for a studio/bedsit type place. Monthly rentals are less common and most people in Montreal have 12 month leases on their places.

You might be able to find a sublet, basically someone renting out their leased apartment, but that can be complicated and involves paperwork and approval of the landlord.

The only legal rentals are on the Quebec tourism site. bonjourquebec.com rentals you find on any other sites are not legal, inspected, insured and rated for tourism. That can cause problems for the other people in the buildings and basically people are avoiding taxes by ignoring the laws.

Use google maps to help you see how long it takes to get around the city on public transit. It is very useful and will give you the times, numbers and costs for travel by public transit.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maria goretti residence

Have a look at this website.....

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…montreal

This one looks nice but you'll have to contact owner for price....he does discount for longer stays...

http://www.vrbo.com/947395a#rates

Edited: 28 December 2013, 21:05
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: maria goretti residence

Be very careful with VRBO and airbnb, they are not legal rentals and Quebec is currently cracking down on them.

theglobeandmail.com/life/…

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: maria goretti residence

This is straight out of the article provided by bogwoppit.....

>>>Residents aren’t allowed to advertise online or rent out their apartment on a regular basis, for fewer than 31 days, without registering and paying a $250 fee.>>>

Discuss this article with the homeowner and make sure you rent it for 31 days. It seems that's where the trouble lies....when homeowners rent it out for less than 30 days. You need a place for a month anyway correct? Personally, I wouldn't be overly concerned at all.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 22:26
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: maria goretti residence

if you have to walk to a blue line station and then transfer on either the east or west leg of the orange it should take you a good 40 minutes to get downtown. The bus no 165 on Côte-des-Neiges Road will be shorter but these buses are usually a zoo and often late.

If you look for something over a month then you might have some luck and be legal but I am wondering if it should be over 30 days or over a full calendar month. Have you thought of sharing an appartment with a local? Of course usually roomating is for more extended periods but it happens that some rooms are available and the legal leaser don't mind about one month only to help pay the bill. That has been my case for some years I lived in the better part of Côte des Neiges and this was a well sought location due to the proximity to universities and Hautes Écoles but it often happened that my roomates would move with other students colleagues after the Holidays so every money coming then was welcome money. For that I used the website Easyroomates.

10. Re: maria goretti residence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 05:17