We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal or Quebec City in March?

Davenpor,IA
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Montreal or Quebec City in March?

Hello, we are a family with 2 older boys (high school and college) and are looking for a different spring break trip. I realize that March will be cold, but can you give us an idea if going to the area in March would be worth it for the sight seeing and restaurants?

Let me know and thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,160 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal or Quebec City in March?

I'd choose Montreal, it's bigger, more to do, more cosmopolitan.....also the drinking age in Quebec is 18, so that might also be of interest for your boys...

Davenpor,IA
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal or Quebec City in March?

Thank you so much for your response. I see that my question was confusing. I basically want to know if both cities would be good to see in march---weather wise. We're from iowa, so we are used to cold, but if it will be sub zero, then we would probably pass. Also, are there still enough touristy things to do at that time period?

We were thinking of taking the train to Quebec City and hanging there for a day.

Thanks!!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal or Quebec City in March?

Québec city average is 25 F in March

Montréal average is 30F in March.

Of course... the later in the month, the warmer it will be.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 15:45
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,160 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal or Quebec City in March?

There will be lots of stuff to do, both are great cities....though it may be on the chilly side of what you want, I'd still say that it's worth the extra layer of clothing.....

Davenpor,IA
Level Contributor
201 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal or Quebec City in March?

Thank you all so much!!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal or Quebec City in March?

Rebecca, just so you know, March is a strange month. It's what we'd call a transitional month and I'd imagine that in Iowa you'd get the same type of weather. It might be 25F one day and the next day it could be 50F. Temperatures vary at this time of year so don't think the entire trip will be below freezing. It's quite possible that you might not get any days below freezing.

Editied to say that I think you and the boys will love both cities. Not sure if they like sports but you might get tickets for a Montreal Canadiens hockey game which would be a fun experience. Both cities offer so much to do and see. I don't think you would have any regrets at all.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 23:46
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal or Quebec City in March?

As just previously written March is a transitional month. As Shakespeare wrote: 'Beware the Ides of March!"

But it is better than April anyways as you will see more snow and less dirt. Plenty of things to do but, of course less than in summer.

By the way it is almost impossible to take the train to go and return to/from Québec City in the same day. You will get only a few hours in town as the latest train leave by the end of the afternoon. If you don't want to rent a car then you will be better served by intercity buses. Orléans express offers hourly departure all day long and until 10h30 pm for the return from Qc.

This is the time for sugaring off, when the maple sap starts flowing and is boiled down in maple syrup. This is a big event around and almost everybody will go to have a traditional meal in one of the many commercial sugar shacks in the countryside. So again one out of town activity that will need a car.

8. Re: Montreal or Quebec City in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 06:18