We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice restaurants near McGill College

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Nice restaurants near McGill College

Hi! A group of women I know will be coming into town and staying at Le St Martin Hotel on Maisonneuve this weekend. I'm trying to find a nice (not chain or student-type) restaurant in this vicinity, preferably north of Rene-Levesque. Not outrageously expensive. Tapas would be great, or someplace you can get drinks and apps without being obligated to sit down and order a full meal. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you, merci!

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice restaurants near McGill College

Alexandre on Peel is good eats, so is Cafe Ferreira but unless I'm wrong I think you'll have to sit down and order there. Sho Dan is a great sushi place right near the hotel. None of these are outrageously expensive (though you wouldnt call them cheap either)...

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,241 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice restaurants near McGill College

Cafe Ferreira is very expensive!

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice restaurants near McGill College

$35 for a main isn't cheap but i define very expensive as in Europea or Toque where a main is closer to $45 and Ferreira isn't quite there, though its animatedly not far off

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,036 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice restaurants near McGill College

Well, on the lower end, I would say something like Bocconcino's on the more "bar" side would fit the bill -- the food isn't great, but you get restaurant/bar atmosphere and a slight step above pub food. (Very slight :)

Right in your hotel, the Bistro L'Aromate could work -- again, it feels like bar/resto, although their appetisers are definitely more restaurant-like. But you wouldn't be rushed or pressured, and if you did get sloshed, my how convenient to stumble back up to your rooms :)

Another choice could be Taverne Dominion -- it's got tons of history and has been lovingly re-done, keeping a lot of what was originally there but updating it in just the right amount. And they've kept some classic appetizers, too.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice restaurants near McGill College

I also consider Cafe Ferreira as an expensive restaurant, though if it fits your budget, it's an excellent recommendation.

Otherwise, try Ariel:

http://www.arielrestaurant.com/dinner.htm

And if you can go a bit further, i'd hit Imadake. Perfect for drinks and japanese tapas.

urbanspoon.com/r/…Imadake-Montreal

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice restaurants near McGill College

There is also Entrecote St-Jean, which is steak or steak or if you don't want steak, well... there's steak. It's a particular type of French restaurant that serves one basic thing, steak.

Dominion Taverne is fine though a little pricey for what they are. There's also a 3 Brasseurs in that area that's more laid back, though not as classy as Dominion.

What you are really looking for is likely Pullman, but it's not walking distance, on Parc near Sherbrooke. Definitely a win bar with tapas. Then there is Pintxos, but that's Roy at Laval but definitely needs a reservation or you aren't getting in.

@DB when was the last time you were at Ferreira, it's definitely closer to $40 a main.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
146 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice restaurants near McGill College

Thanks for your replies so far. I like the concept of Pullman (we can always take a cab, staying closer to hotel is just a preference) but the size of the group is a problem. Just to have a reservation somewhere I took one at Phayathai on Guy, but I'm still looking and open to suggestions! I ALWAYS underestimate how hard it is to get a reservation on Sat. night.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 16:38
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice restaurants near McGill College

Here are some more suggestions...

For Tapas:

Confusion Tapas: (http://www.restaurantconfusion.com/) Well known for Tapas, a little expensive and not my personal favourite but still one of the best in Montreal.

Bureau Bar Tapas:( http://lebureaubartapas.ca/en/) A little bit out of your way, but a good place to have a bit of food and a drink without having to buy the full meal.

Pintxo: (http://www.pintxo.ca/en.html)

If youre willing to go to the old port:

Bevo: (http://www.bevopizza.com/en/) Beautiful place, serves all kind of italian. Probably could get a reservation there quite easily, and a nice area to be in than where Phayathai is.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice restaurants near McGill College

Also Sho-Dan is alright for sushi, but I would not go to Alexander if I was paid to. Hasnt been updated since the 80s, food isn't fresh and still high priced.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice restaurants near McGill College

I'd like to add that i LOVE Pintxo, but it's not good for a happy hour style you describe, nor for very large groups since it's a small restaurant.