We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about my visit

Questions about my visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 16:08
Edited: 14 February 2014, 16:08
1. Re: Questions about my visit

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about my visit

1. Good for métro and bus, but not the trains and busses that serve the off-island suburbs (which you probably won't take anyway). Pay in Canadian cash, or use a card at one of the machines, such as the one found at the airport.

2. "Packed" is relative -- compared to New York, you'll find the streets not very busy here. During the week, it's busiest before 9:00 and then around lunchtime and then after 5:00; during the weekend, the city starts waking up at around 10:00. But in terms of safety, you can walk alone no problem -- Montréal is a very safe city. For some suggestions on what to do, see tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155032-i51-k712469…

3. "Underground city" is really just a series of tunnels that link different buildings together, like they have in many cities, so nothing amazing, although it is impressive how far you can walk without coming up for air, and it is awfully convenient when it's nasty out. A good map can be found at the STM site (our transit authority) at http://www.stm.info/en/info/networks/maps

4. The cross is surrounded by a fence that prevents you from standing next to it or climbing on it. The look-out where the Chalet is (at the top of the stairs) gives you a great view of downtown, and you can walk along the small trail east if you want to get it from a slightly different angle.

5. Yes

6. You can just ask in English if you like. It's better form to enclose it in French, so say Pardon or 'Scusez (skew-say) if you're in the street, or Bonjour if you're ordering in a restaurant, then speak in English, and then finish with a Merci. For a brief list of more French phrases, see tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g153339-s604/Canada:Im…

7. Yup, Greyline offers one in the summer: grayline.com/things-to-do/canada/montreal/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about my visit

Go for a Montreal style bagel at St. viateur for an early morning treat...

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about my visit

Bagels are serious business here, and the battle lines are drawn between Fairmount (delicious) and St-Viateur (tasteless), so choose wisely :) (Although truth be told, even St-Viateur beats New York bagels, and in fact there are a great number of other bagel places around town, each which is a slightly different variation. And I'm kidding about St-Viateur being tasteless. I prefer Fairmount which is doughier and sweeter, whereas Saint-Viateur is firmer and less sweet; up to you to decide.)

Both are open 24h, so it is indeed a good thing to try early in the morning, plus it puts you in the Mile-End district which is nice to explore, although more interesting once its inhabitants are awake and about, and they tend to wake up late :) They're best bought hot, and buy some salmon spread or creamcheese or jam, sit on a bench, and dip them in. Heaven.

If you don't want to travel that far: Van Houtte, a coffee chain here, serves a morning bagel sandwich made with Montréal bagels (compared to other places that use generic industrially-produced ones -- real Montreal bagels are made by hand. Each one. Yup.) I assume you're arriving by bus if it's 5:30 in the morning -- there's a Van Houtte in the Berri-UQAM station, but if you wanted a prettier one, you could head just a few blocks west to Sanguinet and Sainte-Catherine which has a bigger place with exposed bricks and such, although it's not the nicest introduction to Montréal, since that stretch of Sainte-Catherine is in the "rough" part of town. Or perhaps it IS a good introduction, since you'll see how rough it _isn't_ :)

However, coffee is better at the Java U across the street, and although Van Houtte's bagel sandwich is fine, it's not the same experience as having them hot and fresh from the wood-fired oven.

5. Re: Questions about my visit

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,243 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about my visit

They should be. Most of them open as soon as snow has melted. (usually in April)

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about my visit

I am extremely disappointed by tristou's bad taste on bagels! ;)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about my visit

I agree platipus

9. Re: Questions about my visit

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about my visit

Fairmount Bagels, open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Since 1919.

http://www.fairmountbagel.com/