We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal and Québec in September

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Montreal and Québec in September

I've reposted this as I didn't get much response in Québec forum.

I am planning on a trip to Québec city and Montreal in September

I speak fluent French and plan on spending 3 days in QC and 4 in Montreal

I'll be travelling on my own and do not drive.

I like shopping, learning about different cultures, food. I like walking but don't like hiking. I enjoy going to theatres and museums and I like going to gigs.

What would you recommend seeing/doing in these cities?

Also what is the weather like around mid September? I hope the temperature doesn't drop too low!

Also where are best places to stay? I would consider hostels but I do prefer my own room and shower. Not will to spend more than $140 per night. I would like to be in close proximity of the attractions/shops/restaurants.

Advice please

Thanks

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal and Québec in September

I thought Rick's response was helpful. Your post was not specific, so you got a general answer. For temperature, I can tell you it's warm, but if you come from Australia you might find it cold. Instead of relying on people's subjective opinions about matters like this, you are better off looking at a website with statisticsl data such as weatherunderground.com.

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,714 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal and Québec in September

Questions from both forums are usually answered by the same people.

Here is a link for the weather statistics for Quebec City.: …weather.gc.ca/climate_normals/…

It's a little warmer in Montréal by a couple of degrees. You may check on http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ a few days before... for a forecast.

As for hotels, I would recommend that you use www.hotwire.com to get a last minute deal.... You don't need to make reservations way in advance. The system will show you on a map the area for the hotel... Just pick one downtown in either cities (or le Plateau Mont-Royal in Montreal) ... and you will be fine. You can compare the hotels that are offered with Tripadvisor or another hotel website.... Just stay above 2 stars.. and it will be ok.

The question about what should be done in each city can easily be answered by looking at the green ribbon, at the top of the tripadvisor page for each city. It's doesn't make sense to copy all the actractions here!

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal and Québec in September

Weatherunderground is better because it gives the historical temperature, for example, for each day in September 2011 or 2012. Average temperature do not provide you with information as to how temperature can be volatile from one day to the other.

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal and Québec in September

so I too find your question vague...theatres, museums, gigs... what kind of art, music, etc?

but here's a start:

On a September Saturday or Sunday I would head a little off the most beaten tourist trail and go to the Little Italy neighborhood. Go to the Jean Talon market.

It, like the neighborhood it's in, has been undergoing gentrification so you get pricey organic goods and gourmet ice cream and a lot of what I call "sticker fruit' which is fruit that has a little coded sticker on each and every piece and indicates it's part of big agribusiness.

BUT, in September the local produce abounds...bushel-fulls of local tomatoes, armfuls of basil, all kinds of pumpkins and squashes. It's beautiful to look at. There's a store that sells local food products that would make great souvenirs (a little pricey, though). There are a couple of good Italian bakeries I can recommend, as well as some of the best coffee spots in the city nearby. Good restaurants, too.

There's an Italian church nearby, infamous for a portrait of Mussolini on the ceiling and for holding the funerals of local mobsters.

A fifteen minute walk will take you to Jarry Park, a great place for a picnic with supplies bought at the market. There's a very nice pond there with weeping willow trees. September has "magic light" when near sunset there is a golden glow and that spot is gorgeous. Also, you can find South Asians playing cricket, or Italians playing bacci.

One metro stop away (or an unappealing 15-20 minute walk will take you to the Park-Ex neighborhood where you'll find great/cheap Indian food and you can shop for a sari, or go to a great Greek bakery. You can sit in a small park (park Athena) with people from all over the world. And a few blocks away you can shop at Joe Fresh ( a Canadian brand that recently expanded into New york City) for trendy, cheap clothes sown oversees by people from many of the same countries that you saw represented in Park Athena-third world meets first.

It's a low income neighborhood with immigrants from all over. It used to have a vibrant Greek community but they've mostly moved on but there is the bakery and a few good places for Greek food.

Park-Ex abuts one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city and you can walk a few blocks to the street that has a fence separating the million dollar single family homes from the large apartment blocks.

I can tell you about great boutiques in the nearby Villeray neighborhood, or alternative circus theatre that Montreal is famous for (like Cirque du Soleil but smaller productions) or great indie band venues, or contemporary art venues or a grafitti fest that covers walls with huge murals (I hate this but I'll tell you about it) . You just have to give people on here more to go on as far as what you're into.

5. Re: Montreal and Québec in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 15:33
Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal and Québec in September

Average temperature is quite misleading. September 1is summer. September 30 could be Summer or you could be freezing.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,764 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal and Québec in September

A wee bit in the middle of Sept. the Botanical Garden is presenting the Chinese Lantern Festival. Arrive earlier in the afternoon and visit the whole place by daylight and then have lunch outddor or at the café before heading to the Chinese Garden before sunset. All in all a good half day, a full day if you want to visit the nearby Biodome, Olympic Tower and even the new Planetarium. In fact even if the Festival has not started yet when you visit you should visit the area and plan a good half day +. Easy to reach by the métro.

Montréal Museum of Fine Arts will be presenting a special exhibition ($) of Fabergé Permanent collection is free.

Since you speak fluent French you could try to attend some local French theater. All the companies present seasons starting somewhere in Sept. The major ones are Théâtre du Nouveau-Monde, Théâtre Jean-Duceppe and Théâtre du Rideau Vert. Smaller venues Espace Go, La Licorne, Théâtre d'Aujourd'hui, Théâtre de Quat-Sous. Usine C. English Segal Center and Centaur. All will post their upcoming 2014 / 2015 season somewhere in April. Note that for the Québécois plays you might have difficulty with the local accent and lexicology.

Beside the Botanical Garden the two islands making up Parc-Jean-Drapeau are also a good place to visit and have a walk around.

Of course Old Montréal with Notre-Dame Basilica and Pointe-à-Caillières Museum of Archeology and some smaller muséums around.

I will advise you to use the bus instead of the train to go to Québec City. There are only a few trains per day while there are buses leaving every hour from very early morning to late evening so on your day of travel you can leave Montréal at anytime you whish. Note that either train or bus goes through the dull Plain of Saint-Lawrence so not so much scenery to see around. The nice part of the countryside really starts at Québec City

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Montreal and Québec in September

I think you'll like Montréal if you like walking and urban exploring -- it's an older city for North America, plus it was a fairly big one even before the car was invented and also had a large tramway system which all translates into quite a large and dense inner core with little parks here and there and long shopping streets that are well connected so you really can just start walking and, unless you happen to head to the south-west which is more industrial, you can go for quite some time and find interesting things basically all along the way.

However, I'd say Park Ex and TMR -- Town of Mount Royal, assuming that's what RickB is talking about -- are not the most interesting neighbourhoods to explore. Oh, definitely Jean-Talon west of Parc, say -- it's a great shopping street and multicultural and interesting with great restaurants, but other than that, the surrounding neighbourhood is non-descript 50s ugliness, although there are a few neat mid-century churches if you like architecture. TMR is beautiful and well-to-do and has a cute town centre -- the town was built to help finance the rail tunnel under the mountain -- but is suburban in scale. And on the other side, Outremont (perhaps what RickB was talking about, too) is beautiful and green, and Bernard is a wonderful strip with nice restaurants and cafés and a feeling of lots of money and a good life. But for a first time visit to Montréal, these neighbourhoods don't offer as much bang-for-your-buck as, say, the incredibly quaint Plateau neighbourhood.

If you check out the top links in the upper right, there are some suggested tours -- some on-your-own, others guided for $.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 18:40
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,764 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montreal and Québec in September

Correction Tristou, not Rickb but DriftedOff writing about Park Extention and I agree with you about that part of town. Outremont, yes indeed and it is easier to walk than Westmount.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Montreal and Québec in September

Oops, sorry Rickb -- although lower Westmount is quite nice to see, especially if someone likes architecture they can check out Westmount Square, then say Green as a very small but cute shopping street, along de Maisonneuve and through Westmount Park and up to Sherbrooke Street West as it becomes NDG. But big houses and big yards mean more walking, it's true, which is why I prefer neighbourhoods made up of Montréal's 3-storey row housing, like the Plateau, say. It's the perfect density and building-height-to-street-width, really, and the tree-lined streets mean shade, plus the density and age means there are corner stores and little hidden restaurants or cafés or bakeries or hardware stores or what have you as you explore.