We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Burlington Vermont from Montreal

Noosaville...
Level Contributor
106 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Burlington Vermont from Montreal

We are planning to travel from Montreal towards Burlington, Vermont. In the US we are planning to rent a car to do some touring through New England. It appears that we could travel by train to Plattsburgh, hire a car there and then travel by ferry over towards Burlington. Alternatively we could take the Greyhound directly from Montreal to Burlington,VT. I have heard mixed reports about the Greyhound buses. I am aware the bus would be (may be) quicker. We are Australians so will obviously have to show passports at the border which will take time either by bus or train.your suggestions or advice will be gratefully received. Merci bien.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,863 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Burlington Vermont from Montreal

The bus will be way faster and cheaper than the train, it also is direct. The Burlington Airport is bigger than the Plattsburgh one and you will have more rental options there.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Burlington Vermont from Montreal

Plattsburgh airport has only Hertz and only three airlines fly in on very limited schedules. Burlington is a bigger airport and it is also the Greyhound terminal, so you can take a bus directly to Montreal, if you want. A car in Montreal isn't ideal. You may want to think about renting after Montreal and avoid paying for a car to be parked in the city all the time (unless it's particularly cheaper to do it.)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,232 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Burlington Vermont from Montreal

The buses are a bit old on this circuit but still more than OK and, indeed, you could rent a car directly from the Burlington Airport where the bus will drop you.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Burlington Vermont from Montreal

I think TravelAdviceCA misunderstood your question.

I would go with the bus to Burlington. The bus will be cheaper and will be alot less hassle.

Do you have an idea of your itinerary once you get to New England? Are you planning on going through Boston?

If you're wanting to enjoy the scenery and the countryside more than anything I suggest making stops at a few of the famous New England Boarding Prep Schools. They boast some of the most beautiful campuses in america (universities included) and shape some of the world's brightest yound minds.

If you're interested, I suggest St. Paul's School (Concord, New Hampshire - www.sps.edu), Phillip's Exeter Academy (Exeter, New Hampshire - www.exeter.edu), Phillips Andover Academy ( Andover, Massachussetts - www.andover.edu) and if you're going that far - Avon Old Farms (Avon, Connecticut - www.avonoldfarms.com). My two favourite campuses are St. Paul's and Avon Old Farms.

5. Re: Getting to Burlington Vermont from Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:21