We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coronel Pringles...
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
396 reviews
Save Topic
I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

With a "great help" of my TA friends I finally have my train e-tickets Montreal-Quebec.

Now I wonder if its possible to find some transport less expensive than train-return $ 66 and Greyhound-return $ 52, In both cases online, in advance and senior fares...

I h´ve read that Allo had crashed and I dont know Amigo. Otherwise I would like to travel just on May 12 to May 14, in time for the Tulips Festival and I really prefer to have the reserves confirmed beforehand...

Well, many thanks again, Hoping suggestions, Kind regards. maria teresa...

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

With all due respect, Greyhound at $52 return is a very good fare - approx $25 each way .... 400 kms all round trip.

Note that Greyhound will deliver you right into the city. The train station is 5kms outside of the downtown core, and you would have to take a cab or public transit to get back and forth.

Coronel Pringles...
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

Oh!!! thank you, you are right phpr...

I´m sorry but I didn´t realize your point of view...

What happen is that after buying my flights, in Argentina we suffer a great money devaluation and at the same time the taxes for expenses when traveling outside the country went up 15% above the previous 20%...

Well, I must make my mind and go on, Isn´t it?

I wonder if Mr Tristou, with their gorgeous smile has anything to say...Meanwhile, merci...maria teresa

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,814 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

Indeed you can go by train or bus but for this journey the bus is way better than the train due to the train station location and the schedules. By Greyhound you don't have to buy in advance in your country, just show up at the Gare d'Autocars de Montréal and buy your tickets there. There are many automated tellers but for the senior rate you might have to go to an human attended wicket.

You will then be able to hop on the next bus which means just an hour of waiting at the max as there are departures eery hour, on the hour.

In Ottawa the bus makes one or two stops near the university and then one for downtown where you get off. For return the bus station is not that far but might be a bit too much for a senior and it is not in the most agreable environment. But you can just hop on a cab and it will be a short ride, way less than for the train station which is in the suburbs.

Note that if you check the Ottawa attractions on the Ottawa pages of TA one will miss a big one, as the Museum of Civilisation (which might have changed it's name for Museum of History) is located across the river, on the Québec side, in the town of Gatineau and is pretty stunning. By a nice day it is really walkable all the way from the bus stop, through Byward Market and near the National Gallery before the relatively short Alexandra Bridge. It seems that in summer there is a ferry service from the Museum to the Rideau Canal in Ottawa.

Coronel Pringles...
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

How nice guidelines Rickb!!! In fact I have read almost all the posts in TA about Montreal, Quebec and Ottawa...I have reserved the Bussiness Inn for two nights and,concerning the trip to Ottawa I found that buying the bus tickets in advance I should have cheaper fares...

I analized the map and saw the approximate distance between the Greyhound station and my hotel, as you said probably I can walked in my arrival and hop on a cab for my return early in the evening. Thank you at all, I was joking about the Mr Tristou´s smile!!! Good boy, by chance do you know if there are any Greyhound bus stop nearby the mentioned hotel??? Many thanks, again, have a good evening, mt

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,814 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

For that hotel you will be better off to get off the bus at theOttawa Central Station bus terminal and not the downtowwn stop. You can try walking both ways, if I recall well the bus terminal is at Catherine and Banks, so walkable to your hotel. If you come back at night I might take a cab, no the area is not dangerous but just a bit creepy. Google Maps gives the walking distance at less than 20 minutes.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

...and I'm blushing, but also smiling even wider... unfortunately, I can't offer any better advice than my colleagues.

I wouldn't describe the area as "creepy" -- right around the bus station is ugly and there's the freeway right there so really not a great introduction to how beautiful Ottawa can be, but then, what bus station is in a GOOD part of town, anywhere? But the residential neighbourhood just to the north is actually my favourite part of Ottawa -- I like just walking around cities and looking at architecture and little shopping streets and picturing what my life would be like if I lived there, and this neighbourhood would be my choice. It's the east end so poorer, and it's not as nicely fixed up and pristine as most of Ottawa is, being a government town. But there are actually quite a few lovely streets with mature trees and nice houses, for example, and everything is available on foot (which in Ottawa isn't that common). Plus it's close to the weird Chinatown, and just a short walk to downtown, so quite convenient. Not necessarily a neighbourhood to check out for a tourist without much time, but for those who like wandering around and seeing what ordinary life is like in a city, it's a good choice.

Coronel Pringles...
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

Hi Mr Smile Tristou!!! Dn´t be affraid, I am a senior lady who likes kidding or joking just to provoque the laugh, the best medicine for all around the world...I realize that nobody talk about de Tulips Festival in Ottawa from May 10th on...I planned my trip at that time having in mind the famous Koikenhoff (Holland) wich I visited on the 80´s.

I apologize but I couldn´t understand what you say about the neighbordhood up to my hotel. What do you think about the Business In, (expensive for my short budget) I took this option because the hotel was just one that not asked paying in advance, Furthermore they offer a studio, that means I will be able to prepare and eat my own food (econo meals)...If by chance you have any ideas to suggest me I¨ll appreciate to hear from you. Have a nice day!!!mt

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

I suggest you go to the Ottawa forum and read up on the hotel reviews and other Top Questions.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155004-i181-Ottawa…

Tulip Festival info is here:

http://tulipfestival.ca/

And you can do a search in the Ottawa forum for Tulip festival for hints, tips, etc on how to experience it.

Coronel Pringles...
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

Many thanks "guys"...I´ll follow up reading TA forums!!! I am writting my own guides after looking post by post

I´m grateful for your help...mt

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I´m gratefull, now I wonder for advice Montreal-Ottawa

Oh, I'm not worried -- go ahead and flirt all you want. Who doesn't like compliments, anyway? :)

And I was talking generally about the neighbourhood, not the way to your hotel. I don't know the hotel at all -- I stay with friends in Ottawa. But to get to the hotel from the bus station I, personally, would probably walk but then, I travel very lightly and I already know and like the area -- it's about a 15-20 minute walk. But for you, or indeed any first-time visitor with luggage and such, I say take a cab -- it's a 5-minute ride and would cost probably around $10 or $12 with a tip. By regular transit, it's not really worth it -- you'd end up walking half way anyway.

In terms of what's around the hotel: well, it's a great neighbourhood -- you're just at the edge of downtown as it gives way to residential, so basically everything you want is there, from cafés to sushi shops to grocery stores.

You might want to check out www.walkscore.com and type the address in -- it gives you a map with a list of what is around the neighbourhood.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 18:17