We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Montreal/Weekend July 4--Need restaurant. reservations?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Old Montreal/Weekend July 4--Need restaurant. reservations?

Hi! My husband and I are taking a trip up to Montreal on July 3, 4, 5, and 6. I didn't, at the time we booked, know it was going to be the tail end of the Jazz Festival--I just knew that I'd be almost 7 months pregnant and my doctor wouldn't let me drive from Massachusetts much later than that! :) Do you guys know if we'll need restaurant reservations ahead of time because it might be crowded there during this time? Thank you!

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Montreal/Weekend July 4--Need restaurant. reservations?

It depends on the restaurant. If you are going to McDonalds no, but if you are going to club Chasse et peche, yes.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Montreal/Weekend July 4--Need restaurant. reservations?

July 1 is Canada Day , July 4 is Canada Day and you have the Jazz Fest, so a lot of people in town.

But usuallynot the most moneyed visitors which means that if you want to book for a gourmet meal in a top restaurant just a few days in advance reservation will be necessary. In Old Montréal and other sections of town you can actually have a look at the menu and on the premises and might be Lucky in finding something available for the evening or the next day.

What you will have more problem to find are more moderately priced but still evening out / white tablecloth places, particularly around downtown and the Jazz Fest area. For example I think that you should book some times in advance for Bistro Duo D and such.

In the immediate area of the festival the chains or the restaurants in Place des Arts or Chinatown will be packed too but the farther you get from the epicenter and the better your chances are on just showing up and getting a table. That is if you don't try that on a Saturday evening and not between 7 to 9 pm.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Montreal/Weekend July 4--Need restaurant. reservations?

Oh I just realized that you are specifically requestion Old Montréal. Then yes the tactic of walking by and making the reservation for same night or a day later will still work at many places but not everywhere, for example not at Club Chasse et Pêche that Platipus mentioned or at any of the restaurants owned by celebrity chef Chuck Hughes or his tatoo chef buddies Frédérik and David of Joe Beef and other biz.

Boston
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Montreal/Weekend July 4--Need restaurant. reservations?

Thank you! Sorry for the delay. So, from what I gather, the really famous ones will be tough to get unless booked in advance, but in Old Montreal itself, I should be fine at most places just seeing what is available when we get there? Does anyone have any recommendations for good, moderately priced restaurants in that area? Thank you again. Very helpful!

Also, it seems Old Montreal is a bit off from the Jazz Fest festivities? Is that right ?We won't be in the thick of things, so to speak?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,896 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Montreal/Weekend July 4--Need restaurant. reservations?

Well in Montréal neighbourhoods are not all very large and tends to overlap so starting at the river you have Old Montréal, then our little Chinatown and then Quartier des Spectacles where the Jazz Fest is presented. So not in the nick of if but close by although the usual Jazz Fest crowd isn't really the same as the tourists in Old Mtl.

Well I will be daring and suggest Modavie. No it is not a daring place at all, kinda middle of the road frenchy food. I am daring because another DE just hates this place and let his opinion known while we have another one that really likes it, particularly the rack of lamb. Well this place has soft jazz all year long so I cannot vouch for what is happening during the Jazz Fest.

If you want a nice lunch or breakfast place you have Olives et Gourmando and if you like your meal a bit more bistro French then Holder will fit the bill. Note that Holder is located at the extreme west of Old Montréal and, thus, is farter away from Place Jacques-Cartier, the hub of Old Mtl, than this Place is from the Jazz Fest. Holder also serves an a la carte brunch on week ends.

If you don't mind walking a bit more and like fish and seafood then Andiamo on Beaver Hall Hill will be a good possibility. It is usually quiet at night so walk in might work + due to this low evening business the same Table d'Hôte is offered at the same prices for lunch and dinner.

If you want ok spag and other pastas and pizzas and get it fast in a white tablecolth environment then Giorgo will fit the bill. But do not, repeat, do not, try Vieille Fabrique de Spaghetti.

6. Re: Old Montreal/Weekend July 4--Need restaurant. reservations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:15