We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

Hello

I'm flying into YUL from the UK with two small children to visit relatives in Vermont in July. Can anyone recommend or advise against any particular car hire company at the airport? Thrifty at the moment appears to be the best deal but I'm particularly concerned about additional insurance charges that seem to be added on pick up. Does anyone have any experience with that? Or another hire company they prefer?

Many thanks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

All the companies at the airport are major car rental companies. It is up to you to check out their website upon making a reservation and knowing what insurance coverage you require. Because you are going to the US, they may suggest additional coverage.. but it is also a business... If you say "yes" to everything you suggest without knowing if it is required... then you are at fault.

Check with your own car insurance or with your credut card what kind of coverage you really need.

You could also check the internet for information about what is beeing offered by the car rental companies:

huffingtonpost.com/george-hobica/everything-…

…usatoday.com/money/perfi/insurance/2007-12-…

I rented with Budget last week in Florida and had not problem returning the car even if the wiper blade on the back window was missing (and I didn't notice it when I took the car.)

In Montreal, I use Enterprise when my friend is visiting from France and I never had any problem.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,133 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

I haven't used Thrifty at YUL, but have at other airports across the country. They are consistent in service, as are all the majors: Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, etc.

As for insurance, all rental car agencies will require you to have some kind of coverage - whether it be their own (which is pricey), or through your credit card, or even through your own auto insurance. If you are booking online, some companies will have those options right on the site to choose from when booking; others will ask you about it when you pick up the vehicle.

Check if your credit card provides coverage for car rentals.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
768 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

Be sure the rental will allow you to go over to the US and that it is unlimited km's....the fine print with rentals is very important!

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,784 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

Hi teegeegeegee;

Ensure that the car rental company notes on the rental agreement that they authorize you to take the car into the US. You may be asked by Customs when entering the US, or when re-entering Canada, for this documentation.

Some companies offer unlimited mileage, but only within Canada. The rental company will use the onboard commercial GPS (hidden) to track your usage. The extra per mile charges can add up quickly, so be sure to ask in advance.

Best Regards

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

And sometimes, the unlimited mileage -- well, kilometrage here :) -- is limited to the province even.

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

Thank you to all of you who provided advice - it was helpful, as it made me extra cautious. In the end I called the travel company directly and they confirmed that the price quoted by Thrifty was valid for the US but only the states contiguous with the Canadian border! Luckily I'm only planning to go to Vermont and maybe New Hampshire so I don't have to worry about extra fees. Thanks again.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,784 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

You're Welcome !

Level Contributor
2 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

Sorry too late for you but for others, don't rent from thrifty. What a sham this company is. Never again. We booked a jeep grand Cherokee through car trawler and received a thrifty car rental confirmation. We called 3 days, 2 days and the day of travel to make sure the jeep grand Cherokee or the infamous "or similar" vehicle was there which was confirmed.

When we arrived at the thrifty desk, a smarmy server asked if I could give him a car trawler voucher number to release the car which I never received from car trawler. He proceed to explain that I should have known about the voucher despite never having rented via a third party or from thrifty before.

After eventually getting this voucher number, thrifty Montreal airport informed me that neither the jeep grand Cherokee or "similar" was available and they had only smaller cars left.

The manager even had the audacity to suggest an RaV4 as a similar vehicle. Our only alternatives on a Friday night and with already one hour of heated discussion ahead of a three hour journey in rush hour traffic in unfamiliar territory and with hungry and tired children, we had no option but to accept the smaller vehicle.

The manager said the most he could do was to provide me with a full tank of gas (he said this value was around $80 which turned out to be an overstatement) and return the car empty which is also absurd.

But we had to get on the road and felt that we had no choice to accept as it was getting incredibly late and Nicholas insisted that was the only thing he could do. Not even an exchange to the vehicle we booked along our route was available.

What's even worse is the amount of deception attempted in this whole process at the airport. I emailed and contacted thrifty several times during the course of our trip to voice our concerns including copying the manager of this kiosk twice. Unsurprisingly, I received no reply. I called again the day before the return and was advised that only the manager at the thrifty desk at Montreal airport could make any changes and only after the contract was closed out. Full circle of dishonesty.

Categorically this is the shoddiest rental company I have ever dealt with and would never, ever rent from this company again.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 12:38
9. Re: Car hire at YUL for going to Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2015, 05:15