We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York - Montreal airfare question.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,610 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
New York - Montreal airfare question.

Hi, we are flying from NY to Montreal on Nov 1st and I am wondering if anyone knows if they discount fares. We have email alerts from Skyscanner but I just thought as residents someone may know if it happens regularly ... I understand there is no way to predict it definitely but does it happen regularly. The current price is $194 US (one way)

Thanks for any info.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,393 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New York - Montreal airfare question.

I use Skyscanner too. Canada is not blessed with cheap flights the way people are in Europe. Some people choose to fly into Burlington Vermont to save some money, but that would then require you getting a bus to Montreal.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York - Montreal airfare question.

Porter Airline flies for as low as 167CAD one way from Newark (depending on you travel dates).. but you must transfer in Toronto. So it is a tad longuer flight. (3h40 approx)

https:/…

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New York - Montreal airfare question.

Porter sometimes has sales. You could put a watch on those for promo codes and sales.

At the moment, the lowest i see is Westjet with 342$ return trip. This is a vague quote and it depends on your dates, but you should have a look.

Have you considered taking the Greyhound bus? It's cheap and relatively fast.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,610 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New York - Montreal airfare question.

Thanks guys for the information ... Porter airlines looks good until you add on the baggage fee for 1 bag, not much difference then. I will look into the bus also.

Thanks again.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 22:22
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New York - Montreal airfare question.

Traveling to Canada by air is unfortunately expensive due to international taxes. It is much cheaper flying within the U.S. even if it's significantly longer distance because domestic taxes are much cheaper than international. That's why vast majority of Americans who lives within 10 - 12 hours drive from the border either take the greyhound bus or another bus company, train, or drive because it's cheapest alternative.

I always take the greyhound bus and love it! It cost $125 round-trip...

You could also try to find cheap flight to Burlington, VT or Plattsburg, NY (?) and then short bus to Montreal.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 22:34
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New York - Montreal airfare question.

It's early for seat sales for November 1st. I usually travel to New York from Toronto around those dates, and can get one-way, all in for $140 - $150, on Air Canada... it would be about the same for Montreal departure - they run close to the same number of flights between the two cities. But I don't usually book my flights until September.

As for the baggage fee ... all the airlines here do that for US flights... no escaping it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New York - Montreal airfare question.

Only way to escape the baggage fee is have carry-on only....not always an attractive option..

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,610 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New York - Montreal airfare question.

Thanks again ... it's not so much a cost thing. We would rather pay the $200 than sit on a bus for 8 hours. What I really wanted to know is if we pay that much that in July it won't be half that amount. It's like booking a hotel and the huge sale happens the next week.

As to the luggage fees we have booked a few Southwest flights for the same trip and they have inclusive carry-on, that's not the reason we chose them but I thought I'd mention that.

Thanks again.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
18,172 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New York - Montreal airfare question.

Fees here (Air Canada, Westjet, Porter) are for checked bags .. not carry-on... just thought I'd mention that.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,610 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New York - Montreal airfare question.

Carry on!!! What the?

I have found Westjet fares at $145 inc 1 checked bag .... it appears Skyscanner don't include them in their searches.