We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Montreal to Portland, Maine

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Montreal to Portland, Maine

I see a couple of possible routes for doing this. One crosses the border at Derby Line and another further east around Canaan, Vermont. Both take similar amounts of time according to Google Maps. Does anyone have experience with this? It looks like the route through Canaan would be more rural, but I don't know if that means more scenic in practice.

Merci!

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Montreal to Portland, Maine

Both these drives are very scenic!

Taking the I-93 to the 302 takes you through the Franconia Notch and White Mountains of New Hampshire which are must-sees. This is a very popular scenic route. There is a big outlet mall in North Conway and Mount Washington is not far out of the way. There are many nice small towns along the way to stop for lunch in.

Taking the 26 through rural Maine will be much more deserted than the first route. Grafton Notch in Maine is very nice and there will be few cars there.

If this is your first time in New England, the drive through the White Mountains is a must. Otherwise the second drive is very nice and brings you through parts of rural Maine that most don't see.

You will find a lot more information about the first drive on the New Hampshire forum.

Mentioned in this post
Franconia Notch
Franconia Notch
88 Reviews
Franconia, NH
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
Maine
Maine
United States
New England
New England
United States
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Montreal to Portland, Maine

I totally agree. 93 to 302 and the White Mountains is the way to go.

JDP

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Boston...
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Montreal to Portland, Maine

I am driving to Montreal too .. what would be the fastest way since i have been to white mountains many many times

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
451 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Montreal to Portland, Maine

From Boston? Either the 93 to 91 (White Mountains) or 93 to 89, which goes through Vermont.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Montreal to Portland, Maine

I'm more partial now to 93 to 91. Slightly longer than 93 to 89 but I think overall it is quicker. Also, if you want a fun stop, look at the Eastern Townships, easterntownships.org, about an hour outside of Montreal. They have a terrific wine route, with a few only a couple of miles off highway 10.

JDP

Mentioned in this post
Eastern Townships
Eastern Townships
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Boston...
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Montreal to Portland, Maine

easterntownships.org is intriguing. Looks so good. Can you make a trip out of itself there.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Montreal to Portland, Maine

Absolutely. Lots of hiking, biking, inns and restaurants, in addition to the wine route. Plenty of nice places to stay for several days or longer. Quaint villages to visit also.

JDP

8. Re: Driving Montreal to Portland, Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2015, 06:16