We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Montreal

Would appreciate feedback on this itinerary for myself, husband and four year old daughter. I put in the vegetarian restaurants I have penciled in for meals out. Many meals will be picnics or takeaway.

Thursday, July 10: Jean-Talon market, bagel stops, Floralies gardens, beach in Parc Jean Drapeau

Friday, July 11: Insectarium, Botanical Gardens, Biodome, dinner at Aux Vivres

Saturday, July 12: Chateau Ramezay, Muru Cafe for crepes, Cirque du Soleil, walk around Old Port, Clock Tower, dinner at The Green Panther

Sunday, July 13: skating at Atrium 1000, Redpath Museum, high tea at Ritz, Tam Tam Jam

Monday, July 14: Montreal Science Center, IMAX, Notre-Dame, Le Petit Navire boat cruise

Tuesday, July 15: ???

Wednesday, July 16: Biosphere, Stewart Museum, Aquatic Center on Ile St Helene, McCord Museum, dinner at Lola Rosa Cafe

Thursday, July 17: Parc la Fontaine, lunch at La Banquise, Atwater Market, bike rental with Ma Bicyclette along Lachine canal

Please tell me if anything seems really undoable. I am also looking for help on our Tuesday agenda. I had penciled in Point-a-Calliere and Mont-Royal. But the two are not super easy to get between and I'm wondering if my four year old will like the former anyway. I think that Chateau Ramezay and Stewart Museum may have more period re-enactments to hold her attention. She's very mature for her age and will enjoy museums but just not sure about this one. I wondered about skipping it and focusing the day on Mont-Royal. Pedal boat on Beaver Lake, exploring trails, and the chalet.

We are staying at 4700 Rivard so this would be a better deal for us bus wise (#11) but not sure we can make a whole day out of Mont-Royal. If we skipped going down to Pointe-a-Calliere and wanted to walk around shopping neighborhood instead, can you recommend specific areas of the Plateau or Mile End. Perhaps we should take some time to go out to Bilboquet for ice cream?

Thanks in advance!

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Montreal

Re: the Plateau...Walk from the mountain east along Ave Mont Royal, most of the shopping is on Ave Mont Royal itself. You can also walk down (ie south) along with St Laurent and St Denis which are both great walking streets on a nice day. The BEST ice cream is on St Denis south of Ave Mont Royal at Meu Meu. That's a fact.

The mountain is great and shouldn't be missed but unless you want to do a lot of hiking you don't need a whole day. You can picnic, take in the sights and walk around but there's really nothing in the chalet and unfortunately due to renovations there won't be any pedal boating on Beaver Lake. You could also do that on your Tam Tam day, just walk up (something like 30-45 minutes) from the Tams.

FYI poutine at La Banquise is dangerous before renting bikes since its not exactly a light meal but power to you if you want to do that. Might want to consider getting some bread, meat, cheese and/or produce from atwater market and picnicing along the canal before you bike instead.

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Montreal

for a walk around/shopping neighborhood I'd suggest St. Denis street south of Mont-Royal.

I'll second Meu Meu for great ice cream. You can then walk about a block to Ceramic cafe where you can decorate a ceramic piece (cups, plates figurines). I see lots of kids in there really focused on what they're doing.

There are lots of shops and restaurants along the street. There's ChuChai (veggie, and they do moc kmeat dishes) Near Duluth is D'liche where you can stop for cupcakes (they do cronuts, too). And there's a cute cafe called Festin de Babette that's in an old style Montreal apartment, nice atmosphere. Further along is a little shop that specializes in products from Greece. Just about across the street from that is a funky little antiques shop (look for the weird pink stucco exterior). You'll find shoe shops, clothing stores, etc.

At the corner of Roy, you can head east for a couple of blocks and you'll pass a fruit store and a playground. And if you continue walking until Saint Andre, there L'Gros Luxe, an inexpensive (but still hipster) restaurant with comfort food (and veggie options). You'd be very close to Lafontaine park at that point.

If you decide to go along Saint Denis south of Sherbrooke street (down the hill) you can stop at Vua for a $4 banh mi (they have a veggie version, tofu/carrots/cilantro). And if you need a break you can pop into the library (a/c, bathrooms, water fountains, basement level kid's zone with free movies, lounging area).

This route follows the orange metro line, Mont-Royal, Sherbrooke, Berri.

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in Montreal

Well that's a bummer to hear that the pedal boating on Beaver Lake is not available right now! My kiddo loves to do that. Would you suggest we try to add in that activity while we're at the beach in Parc Jean Drapeau or when we're at Old Port? I think it's cheaper at the former.

So if we take the 11 bus up to the mountain, where would you suggest getting off to start a walk around the paths? I planned to take it all the way to Beaver Lake and then walk back through the park. Are there any real "destinations" in the park that are must sees while you're meandering around?

Thanks for the walk suggestions in the Plateau. And I hadn't heard of Meu Meu, thanks!

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days in Montreal

Parc Jean Drapeau is fun with or without kids...a nice bit of nature in the big city. I'd go there.

I'd get off at Beaver Lake and just go explore, walk uphill (10 min or so) to the lookout at the chalet which gives you an awesome view of the city (not to be confused with the other look out right off the road that faces east, which is a decent view but nothing special). As I said there's not much happening in the chalet itself but the view can't be beat.

Then you can hike any paths you like or walk down the east side of the mountain along the road (not highly recommended) to get you back to Park Ave and the Plateau, or follow the gravel path back down the south slope to bring you back downtown and the McGill campus, or make your way to St Joseph's Oratory (largest church in the country) to the west of the mountain.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days in Montreal

If it's really hot, why not take the family jet boating out of LaSalle? About 15 mins from downtown, the jet boats shoot the rapids in the St. Lawrence River & give travel upriver towards Montreal for views of downtown from a different perspective. Great way to beat the heat! And my favorite heat beater is ice cream. Top marks go to Les Givres on St. Denis, Havre aux Glace at both Jean Talon & Atwaters Markets & Kem-Ko-Ba on Fairmont, just next to Fairmont Bagel. Honorable mention to Ripples on St. Laurent (across from Schwartz's) for Richard's uber chocolate x 5 or is it x 6?

Boston...
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days in Montreal

just wanted to say I found your post and I am following with much interest. We are planning a late August trip - just starting to research - and traveling with 2 kids ages 7 and 11 - and we are vegetarian. So I'd love to connect after your trip to pick your brain. have a great vacation!

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 days in Montreal

RomanKJ, I'd be happy to give you all our details when we get back!

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 days in Montreal

I got this book used. Highly recommended! Although it's older so have to double check times, prices, etc.

amazon.com/Fodors-Around-Montreal-Kids-Editi…

9. Re: 8 days in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:17