We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip - Montreal, Quebec, Niagara + Parks/Wilderness

Tokyo Prefecture...
Level Contributor
43 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip - Montreal, Quebec, Niagara + Parks/Wilderness

Hi All

I'd like to ask this forum about the following plans we have, for the last week of August this year:

This is a 8-9 days itinerary, starting in Boston and finishing in Boston. We are looking for a sightseeing/cultural trip, which would be A+ if we could find some natural animal wildlife park on the way.

1. Fly out from Boston Friday night to Buffalo

2. Niagara Falls, Toronto

3. Toronto, Thousand Islands Park

4. Montreal

5. Montreal

X. buffer Day

6. Quebec

7, Quebec

8. Drive back to Boston

Questions: I am missing, on purpose, Ottawa. Anybody can convince me otherwise that, apart from the Parliament, we should stop there?

Any tips for detouring, from our tour, so we could go to a park to see wildlife (not birds but maybe bears, wolves, deers, etc)

How is Mastigouche? and La Maurice? or Laurintides?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip - Montreal, Quebec, Niagara + Parks/Wilderness

While visiting Niagara Falls, make sure to have lunch at beautiful city of Niagara-On-The-Lake. Amazing!

Since it's on the way, I would check out Ottawa as well. It's nice & clean.

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
590 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip - Montreal, Quebec, Niagara + Parks/Wilderness

I will not convince you to go to Ottawa....on the other end I would stop to Parc National de la Mauricie. Very nice park, over the years I have seen bears, coyotes, beavers, deers and moose. My camping friends who go on remote lakes have heard wolves at night. Lots of hiking, canoeing, kayak or swimming, you can tent or even rent a tent. Go see their website

www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/qc/mauricie/index.aspx

.Mastigouche is more for hunters and fishermen. Laurentians nice trails in Mont Tremblant area but more people, less wildlife as it is closer to Montreal.

Montreal
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip - Montreal, Quebec, Niagara + Parks/Wilderness

A detour between Toronto and Montreal is the wildlife park Omega

http://parcomega.ca/en/

You could stay nearby at the Chateau Montebello

http://www.fairmont.com/montebello/

Also nice but smaller than Omega on the western tip of Montreal is the Ecomuseum

http://www.zooecomuseum.ca/en

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip - Montreal, Quebec, Niagara + Parks/Wilderness

Seeing large wildlife in the wilderness is rare and difficult (and you must be out near dawn or dusk.)

Your best bet is really the Parc Omega, an organized wildlife park in a natural setting; very nice even for adults.

The Auberge Refuge du Trappeur, just south of Parc de la Mauricie organizes Bear viewings

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1238508-d14262…

I've seen black bears many times is Jacques-Cartier National Park, north of Quebec

www.sepaq.com/pq/jac/index.dot?language_id=1

Jacques-Cartier and La Mauricie N.P are really nice

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,299 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip - Montreal, Quebec, Niagara + Parks/Wilderness

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g153339-i49-k768769…

Tokyo Prefecture...
Level Contributor
43 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip - Montreal, Quebec, Niagara + Parks/Wilderness

thank you all!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip - Montreal, Quebec, Niagara + Parks/Wilderness

As others have said, you've crammed too much on your plate. Ottawa is probably Canada's best city for museums, even better than Montreal or Toronto in my opinion. You could easily spend several days in Ottawa exploring the various museums - the National Gallery (art), the Museum of Civilization, the Canadian War Museum, etc. Here's the full list: http://ottawamuseums.com/ I guess my point is, there's more than just the Parliament Buildings, and you could easily spend some quality time there, but I wouldn't recommend it based on your current itinerary as you've got too much happening in too little time.

Edited: 08 August 2014, 20:45
8. Re: Road Trip - Montreal, Quebec, Niagara + Parks/Wilderness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16