We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

Hello everyone! Just need ur advise on how to plan our trip....we are new in Canada and we never travelled to Montreal...Like everyoine,we heard great things ab it so we r planning to travel in the last week of this month. Will be a road trip-easier to have the independence of our own car considering our toddler- and we are having max 5 days off....Ok,as all parents know already,this vacation might be a nightmare if our little angel is not entertained so here we go....she likes splas pads/parks with playgrounds and all places filled with kids-isnt that normal? :) For us,her sleeping tired after some hours of fun will be just great! We love to see new places and crazy ab taking amazing photos of breathtaking views...Now is that too much for a 5 day trip? Pls,any suggestion would really help two tired parents and an energetic kid who needs a break from routine.....Also,where can we find a condo to rent? is any site we can go through? is it cheaper than hotel and safe? I guess condo is easier when its coming to kids! Thanks for ur time!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

Try the Biodome with a youngster , it's sure to impress!

2. Re: Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 13:42
Mississauga, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

:))) funny but not really the answer u would expect from a destination expert ! Thanks,anyway! Cheers!

Mississauga, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

Thank u,will be there for sure!

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

Since no one replied to you, see my answers below. As an introductory comment, you post really sounds like you are exhausted, hence my suggestion to stay home. Frankly, your 2.5 yr old won't remember or care. If you do go, then you need to do some things for yourself and your spouse, it can't only be about the child, otherwise, you are bound to be miserable for at least the next 15.5 years. Enough ranting, let's go:

1. Great views: the belvedere at the top of Mont Royal, you can even see the US on a clear day. Go to St-Helene island, great views from the top floor of the Biosphere (not the same thing as the biodome). If you go to the biodome (see prior suggestion) then the Olympic tower observatory has great views, it is the tallest inclined tower in the world if your care. You can take a 3 minute boat shuttle from old montreal to the island.

2. Pools: the biosphere has a water themed museum that includes water related activities, this is great for a toddler young kid, plus you get nice views from the top of the biodome. Nearby are vendors selling ice cream, there is a playground, a splash pool and even a real pool.

3. Westmount, this is a city/enclave in downtown montreal, one of the best example of a Victorian architectural ensemble in Canada. There are 2 great parks adjacent to each other: Westmount Park and King George, the latter has an outdoor splash pool, the water is one foot deep. Westmount also has an outdoor pool at the corner of Lansdowne and St-Catherine st. but you may have to pay if you are not a resident. If you can find a rental there, it is a quiet and wealthy area with a shopping area called Victoria village. If you are focused on your kid instead of yourself, I would stay there.

4. Where to stay; Westmount as described above or old montreal (for you, not the kid). old montreal is adjacent to the old port, where there is ample room for a kid to run around, especially on the western part, near McGill street. You can also rent a kayak or small electric boat at nearby canal Lachine and sail on canal Lachine and discover the cradle of Canadian industry. you can stop at Atwater market for a snack or ice cream.

5. Safety; montreal is the safest large city in north America.

6. Condo: why don't you rent a hotel with a suite, like embassy suites in old montreal or square Phillips downtown (close to old montreal), or see what is available in westmount if you can rent a condo (as many noted on this forum, many condo rentals are illegal).

7. Food, try Quebec's swiss chalet equivalent (but much better): St-Hubert, they have kids menu, crayons, etc For yourself: L'express on St Denis street: it is a French (like from France, not Quebec) bistrot and the noise level will ensure that your kid does not disturb anyone, it is relatively quick and the food is good - resevations are a must at any time of day or night. This city has the most restaurants in north America after NYC, so finding a restaurant is never a problem.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 04:10
montreal
Level Contributor
625 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts now has a kids area, you can drop in if you are in the area, the children's section is free. I wouldn't make a special trip just for that, unless you want to see other parts of the museum as well.

LaRonde/Six Flags is offering children's pricing for adults, so if amusement parks are your thing, you might consider that. ($45 per person, kids under 2 are free - I guess they will charge you for your 2 1/2 year old)

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

2.5 yr is a bit young. There is a merry go round and a couple of rides geared to the under 7 crowns but not much; la ronde is expensive if this is the only thing you do there.

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

how about a different approach...

pick places that interest you and then ask if there are kid friendly things around there. For example, I see lots of tourists coming out of Mont-Royal metro (to stroll Mont-Royal avenue-shops, restaurants; walk nearby section of Saint-Denis-more shops, restaurants; and take the 11 bus up to the mountain).

If you wanted to do that then for kid-friendly stuff I'd recommend some great ice cream places, a kid-friendly Portuguese-style chicken restaurant and even a splash area in a park (at Hotel-de-Ville and Mont-Royal).

If you read a guidebook and decide you'd like to visit the Mile End neighborhood, then there's a nice playground on Saint-Viateur, a few blocks west of Park Avenue and the heart of hipster cool.

What would you like to do? We'll offer kid-friendly stops around your choices.

Mississauga, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

Many thanks for ur replies!platipus,i have to admit u r right ,vacation must be for us but no possibility on letting her home! But ya,wake up call from a stranger can sometimes do :) Thanks again,ur advise is really detailed and helpful!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any tips for a great one week in Montreal with a 2.5 yr old?

Most 2-3 year olds need strollers, naps and lots of love. Our grand child loved our trips to museums, 2 hours max, as we engaged her in discussion of what she was seeing. Playgrounds were a treat. My recommendation would be that you keep the child's needs in mind while exploring things you enjoy. I would also suggest you protect her ears from the major decibel, though lovely, sounds of music in cafés and various venues. Enjoy your toddler, and your visit.