We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in plateau area?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in plateau area?

I keep looking online and I am feeling a little overwhelmed. Two nights, will have car. May be taking car out to explore further areas. Want safe, charm and character....some restaurants and strolling at night. Should we stay along the waterfront? Old Port area?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Staying in plateau area?

Hotel de l'Institute??? Is there another area with old world charm, locals and visitors strolling the streets at night? Open air cafes and restos?

The Hotel doesn't look like it has old world charm though. Any recs that area or elsewhere. We don't need loads of amenities, just a decent sized room,A/C, clean and private bath. We do want some charm though.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,832 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Staying in plateau area?

http://www.bonaparte.com/en/auberge/

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Staying in plateau area?

Going from south to north in Montreal from the river, you have Old Montreal, the oldest part of the city. Then you have the downtown core. The next neighbourhood is the Plateau. It is a residential neighbourhood that runs from to the east of McGill university up to around the tracks near Iberville. It's a very residential area, with lovely shops, restaurants and the such.

As for parking it all really depends on the person and their car. In my area the street cleaning on one side is Wednesday and Friday for the other side. The Wednesday cleaning is a little more difficult than the Friday one. And yes the signs can be confusing, but we explain them all the time. It all depends on attitude. Those who don't want to worry about it pay me for parking or go to one of the many lots available around the neighbourhood. Those who want free parking spend some time looking (or sitting down waiting for a spot to clear.)

It's more of a problem for those who want a spot instantly than those with patience. Everything takes time. But once you are parked you are parked for the most part and you can walk or take public transport everywhere. The best part is that you can really walk most places. You put away the car keys and walk and stop worrying about where you are going to park everywhere you go.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Staying in plateau area?

Institut de Tourisme et d'Hôtellerie du Québec is one of the best cooking / hospitality / tourism school in the world. Hôtel de l'Institut is the application hotel so there is a basic Professional staff but also a lot of students working around. What this place doesn't have is pool and gym amd doen=sn't offer room service. Do not be fooled by the scale (and ugliness) of the building, there are only 2 floors of rooms so it is quite intimate except for the multipurpose lobby that is a bit of a train station. If you get a good picture of the school the two floors with balconies are the ones where the rooms are. The building was voted the ugliest in town about 15 or 20 years or so and that was before the renovations that added the balconies, new cladding, etc.

So the hotel is ugly but it is facing a lovely old world square so the views are actually far better indoor looking outdoor than vice versa and even the rooms and the dining room have very nice interior design even if it is neither a designer or quaint / romantic. You will be at the edge of the Plateau if going north and just down the eponymous Plateau to the Latin Quarter and Old Montréal. Three more advantages of this hotel are that a full breakfast is included, there is indoor parking (no valet) at rates way more affordable than any usual hôtels and it sits directly over a station of the métro (subway) system and there are also quite a few bus lines having stops around.

As per personality you get chock full of it around. I already mentioned the large areas but beside the Saint-Louis Square, Saint-Denis Street it a big commercial street but with plenty of interesting and unique places. L'Express the ultimate bistro and the hangout of the francophone Intelligentsia is just a few blocks north but part of that crowd migrate in summer to the terrasse / patio of Café Cherrier which is only one block from the ITHQ. And there are plenty of little streets to explore.

The parking problem for the Plateau in general is that this used to be a blue collar neighbourhood until it became trendy about 15 / 20 years ago. Lodging is mostly in the typical Montreal vernacular three floors dwellings with outdoor staircases. So that usually means 1 large appartment on the main floor and 2 smaller ones on the two top floors. In the old days the bourgeois owned the building and lived on the main while renting the upper floors to workers that were mostly carless. Add to that the big condoisation going on, a borough mayor that wants to favor BMW (that is walking, métro and bicycle) over private car and this explain the mess of trying to park around but hey if you go to Hôtel de l'Institut no problem and I know that some B&Bs and appartment rentals in the area can arrange the parking situation if you don't make last minute booking.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Staying in plateau area?

Walk around Bernard street in outremont or Sherbrooke street around Victoria street in westmount.

Based on your posts, it sounds like you are looking for a Parisian boulevard experience and, if so, you likely will be disappointed. The closest thing in Montreal might be st Denis st between Roy st and gilford st. Montreal is a North America city largely built by scots, the Irish and the english. If I had to pick, I would say it looks more like London than Paris.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Staying in plateau area?

Old Montreal and Le Plateau are totally different experiences.

Old Montreal has the oldest architecture and the narrow roads - the infrastructure there feels more European, French even. But culturally it's super touristy. The restaurants, gift shops cater to the tourists who only visit this part of Montreal. What you don't get here as much as the local community feel. Yes, it's romantic and beautiful, but you kind of miss out on the hip, contemporary artsy authentic vibe that I feel encompasses modern day Montreal.

For that, you've got the Plateau. As somebody who lives on the west coast, the Plateau is romantic, exotic, and foreign to me. To somebody from Detroit? I don't know, but quite possibly. You've got cafes, restaurants, and boutiques that cater to locals. You've got the artsier communities here, small live music venues, the small markets, locals hanging out in the parks, and the quintessential Montreal streets full of 3-storey apartments with the curly wrought-iron staircases. THAT is Montreal. It has charm, it has character, restaurants, pubs, bars, and... when I used to go to Montreal more frequently than I currently do, this is where I went for nightlife, for restaurants, lounges, and light night drinks with friends. In the Plateau, I felt like I was a local living a vibrant social life in Montreal. In Old Montreal, I'd go there and poke my head in, but I felt it lacked soul.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 02:40
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Staying in plateau area?

I didn't notice that you were from Detroit itryalot .

Well all of Montréal is very different from Detroit. In a previous life I worked for 6 months in Windsor without a car. One night with coworkers we went to gay bars in Detroit, at 6 Miles Road and Woodward. A week later I decided to go on my own by bus, Well the bar was closed but I remembered that there was another one at 7 Miles Road so I walked! Surprise surprise my friends were at that other place and they almost had heart attacks when they saw me arriving innocently! They made me promise that I would never again walk in Detroit after dark except in Greektown and that I could have been killed more than once, if I was the proverbial cat, during my little promenade.

So Montréal is not like that, we have a very good transit system, plenty of eople in the streets everywhere even in the rougher parts which might look like daisies gardens for somebody from Detroit! LOL

So any and every hotel or B&B will be in ok locations and many in actually lovely places even if it ain't Paris!

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Staying in plateau area?

Old montreal actually has little French era buildings. Much of the buildings date from the 1800s, and include some Victorian buildings, rococo, Etc along with Canada's first skyscrapers. Old Quebec City feels for French architecturally.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Staying in plateau area?

Sounds like we may take L'Institut and just go for a stroll in Old Montreal...we were also looking at the Quartier "Latin" but weren't sure.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Staying in plateau area?

As I mentioned the Latin Quarter is only a few blocks down the Plateau. The hôtels around are more less centered on Parc Émilie Gamelin and the Berri / UQAM métro station underground. It is one of the rougher parts that I mentioned but hey it's way better than Woodward between 6 and 7 Miles Roads.