We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headed to Montreal from the US

Manayunk...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Headed to Montreal from the US

My buddy and I are driving up to meet up with some friends who will already be in MTL. We expect to hit the border around 9pm. Might seem like a silly question, but is it better to be there earlier or later?

Also, should I expect to just hit an ATM up there and take out CAD? or Should I bring USD to exchange somewhere? Or should I order CAD? or is USD accepted <--- Dont want to be "That guy" though.

We will be there for 3 days, I think we are staying in Old Montreal. We want to do some site seeing, as well as drinking. We are more bar type guys than club type guys. Much of my crew enjoy good beer. Any place to get a good variety of maybe some local lesser known in the states brews?

Also, any good gentleman's club recommendations? My buddy is soon to be married and this is his bachelor party trip.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Headed to Montreal from the US

==ARRIVAL TIME==

At that time, no real traffic so no big difference. However, earlier is better simply for the light and for you to arrive in town at a reasonable hour.

==MONEY==

USD is not accepted everywhere and when it is, it is not at a advantageous rate.

Visa and mastercard are widely accepted and usually, using it directly to pay gets you the best exchange rate. Otherwise, you can withdraw CAD at ATMs. You will be charged your banks rate, your banks international transaction fee + the ATMs own fee (usually around 2.50$). It depends on what your bank and your credit card offers.

==PUBS AND BARS==

If you would like local craft beers in Old Montreal, go to "Les Soeurs Grises". They brew hteir own beer on site, The ambiance is really nice and relaxed. Their food is really good too!

For other nice local craft beer pubs (sorry this is all i drink now, everything else tastes like water to me):

-Benelux : downtown, near Place des arts.

-Le Saint-Bock: Latin Quarters, near berry uqam station

-Dieu du Ciel: Plateau Mont Royal (it's a small place so seating is sometimes an issue).

All are great. Hit the one in the area you are at. Or hit them all! (but not on the same night)

If you like whiskey and scotch go to Le Pub L'ile Noire. http://www.ilenoire.com/

If you like inventive drinks served in a huge mason jar, but still in a bar/pub setting: La Distillerie. A few locations. http://www.pubdistillerie.com/v2/index.php

From what you told me about yourself.... avoid Crescent street. It does not seem like you scene ;-)

==GENTLEMEN'S CLUB==

I'm a woman so i am not the best reference for this but i hear Wanda's is a bit classier and more upscale. Also, Chez Paré is famous.

Manayunk...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Headed to Montreal from the US

Thank you! Excellent. We are craft beer people ourselves. I will make sure to send your reply to my friends!

3. Re: Headed to Montreal from the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 13:07
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,521 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Headed to Montreal from the US

Anthony;

What does your experience have to do with the topic at hand ?

Nothing !

It is impolite to the members who have participated in a thread to change its topic.

Best Regards

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Headed to Montreal from the US

Most stores do accept U.S. dollars but they may charge for a different rate and will give you back change in Canadian dollar.

6. Re: Headed to Montreal from the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 05:17