We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uber

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Uber

We are in Montreal for a week just now.

Mostly, we walk; but we are wondering if we can use Uber for some of the longer/rainy trips about town.

How is Uber working here in Montreal?

Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uber

Just use the metro. It's faster and cheaper.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uber

Yes, we use the metro a lot. But if it is pouring rain and we are dressed for dinner, the metro is not door-to-door.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Uber

Hmm... well, it's new here, but I guess the best way to answer your question would be to try it and see if it is to your liking; if not, you can ask the hotel or the restaurant to call a cab the old fashioned way. If you want in-between, Taxi Diamond, the largest cab company here, has their own App you can download.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uber

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uber

We also have halo.

It is easier to hail a cab from the street than in NYC so these services are not that useful Iin Montreal IMO.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 13:58
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,864 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uber

Uber will call a taxi, essentially. You need a chauffer's licence to pick up someone for a paid ride in Quebec.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Uber

I didn't know this term until I saw it posted here. Of course I knew that the German über was used meaning "the top" in English but had no idea that it had this new meaning!

For the cabs yes in Montréal you must be licenced and with a dome on your car but they are just regular cars not yellow in anyways, so that might surprise some Americans. Also I don't know the situation in Baltimore but when I lived in NYC I was used but never tried the "livery" which are basically not licensed cabs. None of those in Montréal!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
590 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Uber

I've been using uber in montreal for over a year now. Most of my rides have been very efficient. I'd say give it a try.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Uber

Thanks to all who replied to my Uber query. We did use Uber twice, and both times it was super efficient. (We were staying on the Plateau, so it could be different farther out of town.). This a.m., we used it to get to the airport. Very quick and efficient, Thanks, Montrealers! A bientot!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,631 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Uber

But were they essentially licensed taxi cabs or not?