We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

Hi, We are in Montreal and are planning on driving to Quebec City on Tuesday. My plan was to drive the 20 and stop along the way two or three times in some of the more scenic places. Then on Saturday, I planned to take the 40 back to Montreal to catch our flight back to the US. Our limo driver (Ville Marie car service which was great!) was somewhat horrified that I planned to drive the 20 and said that with the road construction and with the route through all of the villages, it would take just shy of Forever to get to QC. He was definitely of the opinion that we should take the 40 both ways and just resign ourselves to nothing to look at for three hours.

I would love some more input on this - is the 20 really that bad of an idea? I don't want to spend the entire day driving, but thought it would be nice to see some of the villages....

Should we take the 40 to Trois Rivieres and cross over to the 20 from there to come into QC from that point? Should we avoid the 20 altogether?

Thanks for your input!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

I did a google maps search and there is some construction around Trois Rivieres, but unless there is an accident, there seems not to be much of a difference....

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,781 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

Huh? These are both autoroutes and there is little difference in time and scenery... as you noted no harm in taking one there and the other back.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

There is little difference between either one except the 40 is less boring. There are more towns along the way which is good for getting food or filling up the tank. The 20 is 3 hour of nothingness..........

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

Unless there is some major construction going on, and it looks like tdsuperstar found what construction there was, 20 is pretty straight, flat, and yes "boring". I think you can also google it yourself, something like "Quebec Route 20 road construction" and an answer should come back, possibly in French but with the symbols you should be able to understand it.

JDP

Montréal
Level Contributor
105 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

Booth have road construction ! There is construction everywhere in Quebec during the summer. We call that the "Cones festival" in reference to all the orange cones that appear here and there on the roads !

Good place to check the Road Network Conditions: http://www.quebec511.info/en/default.aspx

Trois-Rivières - old city is nice but nothing extraordinary.

Personnally I did the road Montreal-Quebec two times a week and if you have plenty of time, here is my suggestions:

Montreal-Quebec direction (from North side of the St-Lawrence): Take 40 as far as Trois-Rivières and then follow 138 until Quebec. It will be marked as the Chemin du Roy (the King's Road). Lots of interesting historic towns-villages and nice point of view along the route. Here is a link that describe the King Road: www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/cheminroy0.html

Don't miss Deschambult village - it's one of my favorites - on the 36 most beautiful villages of Québec.

He is the lists: www.beauxvillages.qc.ca/website_english.htm

On the opposite side (South side of the St-Lawrence), Quebec-Montreal, if you get a chance to take the ferry Quebec-Levis, it's a nice option. Good view of Quebec city and there is a chocolat factory that worth the trip: 32, avenue Bégin, Lévis

www.chocolatsfavoris.com/Chocolateries.shtml

Then from there, take the 132 - Route des Navigateurs. Look at this link to have an overview of what this route can offer you: www.routedesnavigateurs.ca/en/la-route/

Have fun !

Nickie.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,427 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

40 boring, 20 ultimate boring. If you have done I 95 in the Carolinas going to Florida you get an idea of what awaits you, except it will be a shorter suffering.

L'e Chemin du Roy is a good option for a while, until you get bored to drive at these speeds. Luckily the 40 is very close by so you canget back on the highway whenever you want.

I know that many of the other regular collaborators don't like this suggestion (industrial city, yikes!) but I find a detour by Shavinigan very interesting. The views from the roads are a bit better and there is the very interesting Cité de l'Énergie and the beautiful Notre-Dame-de-la-Présentation to visit. Also you can go to Sahwinigan from the 40 and back on different roads so a bit more new scenery.

As per the 20 the only stop that I can think of that has some scenery is Mont-Saint-Hilaire but it is very close to Montréal for a first stop. Oh and just very close to the 20 near Québec City you can also make a stop at the Chaudière Waterfall.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
18 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

Thank you for such specific information! We will follow your advice and take the 40 to Trois Rivieres and then wander from there. I don't want to miss the beautiful villages!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
544 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

If its a slow paced drive you are after forget the 20 and take the 132 that hugs the river on the south shore all the way to Quebec city. And goes through many villages along the way,

Beautiful villages?guess it depends on your perspective..

9. Re: Driving from Montreal to Quebec... until limo driver said no

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:18