We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would like to plan a trip to Montreal unsure as to how?

Portland, Maine
1 post
Save Topic
Would like to plan a trip to Montreal unsure as to how?

I'm 17 now, would like to go to Montreal next summer. Not going to lie its because I read the drinking age is 18 there, why should I lie about my intentions when I'm asking for help. And would like to taste a real Cuban cigar since they are illegal in the USA.

I would like to bring some friends, probably 1 or 2 if I can get this girl to tag along, and probably my dog.

My budget is unknown just would like to estimate the cost and see if I can afford it.

I don't care about hotels, a high rise hotel would be nice but they are usually very expensive.

I do not speak any French, English is my first and only language and I talk fast.

Sorry if I am all over the place with this, and thank you for your help.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,377 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would like to plan a trip to Montreal unsure as to how?

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Bomani_Chisulo;

First - leave the dog at home. Travelling with a pet brings along a whole number of issues, number 1 being what to do with Fido while you're out of the hotel room.

As for being an Anglophone, I would suggest reading the "Top Questions" entry titled "I speak a little/no French. Can I get by in Québec ? How tolerant are the locals?" to the right of this page.

---------->

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border, by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

I hope that helps getting you started.

Best Regards

Edited: 27 August 2014, 06:02
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,303 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would like to plan a trip to Montreal unsure as to how?

I just searched this forum for "Cuban cigars" (search field just above your avatar) and got this article:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155032-i51-k66186…

To help you with your budget, use the green tabs up top in the menu bar. The hotels can be filtered by class (3*-4*) and amenities which will give you an idea of cost per night.

You could go to the library or a bookstore for some travel guides about Montréal, which will help orient you to the neighbourhoods, food, hotels, things to do, and help tell you about costs.

A google search, or a question on this forum, would help you find out if hotels require a minimum age to check in to a hotel room. It may be 18 as you have figured out about bars. I use google for almost everything when I'm starting a project.

You could also read other questions being asked on this forum and the replies being given. You can get a lot if tips doing that.

Have a look in the Top Questions to the right of the page. Valuable info there, including trip reports.

I think the first thing you might want to do is check out hotel costs. Then Things to Do, make some choices, and what they might cost you. Look into transportation options and costs. Finally use the Resto tab up top to cost out some menu items there. Remember grocery stores have deli departments, and a nice BBQ chicken with some take out salads can save you a lot of money on food. A hotel room with a fridge would be something to look for. Not to mention Poutine!

You'll be fine in English and restricted with a dig. Many hotels won't let a dog stay alone in a room. For obvious reasons of chewing furniture and trashing the room. A rule in place from past experience.

I expect you will drive and Gas Buddy is a good website to check for stations that are offering good gas prices.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would like to plan a trip to Montreal unsure as to how?

Leave the dog at home... book a cheap hotel thru expedia, hotwire or hotels.com and stay in downtown or old town. Hotels are quite affordable year-round in this city. Lots of people speak English here so don't worry about the French, although knowing some French basic words is very useful.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,556 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would like to plan a trip to Montreal unsure as to how?

Old town is usually known as Old Montréal.

Yup don't consider bringing the dog.

If you whish the International Hostel has private rooms and not only dorms so it can be a good solution and it is right downtown. Breakfast is also included in the room price.

There are résidences owned by Mc Gill University or Université du Québec that transform themselves into inns during summer. Only caveat is that only the New Residence at Mc Gill has air con.

Casa del Habano is the place for Cuban cigars.

Do not plan to come from the 4th to the 9 th of June as this is the F1 Canadian Grand Prix and all the jet set fly to Montréal and hôtels triple their prices.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Would like to plan a trip to Montreal unsure as to how?

Given the choice leave the dog at home and bring the girl. Then again, considering the purpose of the trip, the girl might not like you after the trip but the dog will still like you.

6. Re: Would like to plan a trip to Montreal unsure as to how?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:16